Price per foot T Posts in rocky soil and on a Hill?

Help Support CattleToday:

This is open range. There are cows and horses on the road every day. Most of the fences are 4 strand in various states of disrepair. On real nasty pieces of ground you will find 3 strand fences. Cattle mingle all summer. This time of the year as cattle come down or are brought down out of the hills they get sorted and returned to their owners. It is amazing how far away some of these old cows will show up. A lot of the ranchers have custom ear tags which include their phone number. A lot easier to read that number than to check a brand and look up the owner.

This is open range. There are cows and horses on the road every day. Most of the fences are 4 strand in various states of disrepair. On real nasty pieces of ground you will find 3 strand fences. Cattle mingle all summer. This time of the year as cattle come down or are brought down out of the hills they get sorted and returned to their owners. It is amazing how far away some of these old cows will show up. A lot of the ranchers have custom ear tags which include their phone number. A lot easier to read that number than to check a brand and look up the owner.
Sounds like a bunch of halfazzed outfits... 😂

I have about 100 T posts and 10 rolls of wire out here on pallets. Most of the T posts are 6 foot heavies. Most people here use 5 1/2 T posts. The wire is either some cheap 2 barb wire from the ranch my wife had. Or it is 4 point Red Brand wire. Fences here are either 3 or 4 strand barb wire. There are a few 5 strand fences by the more well traveled roads. The trouble with the fence I would like to build is only about 300 feet of it you could drive an ATV on. The majority is steep enough that it is very difficult to walk on. You are side hilling while quartering down the slope. I don't know how you could put a roll of wire down without it rolling off the mountain.

If you can get an atv to the top of it it is not too bad to string wire. I use an old C wire buggy (it looks like a trailer the power company's haul reels of wire on but it is the size of an atv trailer). I take a 6 ft long piece of 2x6 and have my wife jam it against the reel of barbed wire so it works as a tension brake. Then you can use the tension off the reel to basically rappell down the slope with the wire. Just don't pee off the wife. If the board man lets tension off the spool you are going for a ride.

If you cannot access the top it is going to stink no matter what.

If you can get an atv to the top of it it is not too bad to string wire. I use an old C wire buggy (it looks like a trailer the power company's haul reels of wire on but it is the size of an atv trailer). I take a 6 ft long piece of 2x6 and have my wife jam it against the reel of barbed wire so it works as a tension brake. Then you can use the tension off the reel to basically rappell down the slope with the wire. Just don't pee off the wife. If the board man lets tension off the spool you are going for a ride.

If you cannot access the top it is going to stink no matter what.
The property line diagonally down hill and side hill. A lot of it is steep enough that you can stand straight up and reach out to the side with your arm and touch the ground. It would be suicide plain and simple to ride anything down those hill. You are not rappelling straight down the slope. The side hill slope is such that I would absolutely guarantee you would roll down slope. And what do you do when you reach the end of the first roll of wire? It is a mile from the top to the bottom.

There are properties all over the west where the mountain range is to steep to fence. We had forest ground that we had to ride both sides of the mountain to gather cattle because of no fences. It is what it is. Not every place is flat and level and can be fenced.

There are properties all over the west where the mountain range is to steep to fence. We had forest ground that we had to ride both sides of the mountain to gather cattle because of no fences. It is what it is. Not every place is flat and level and can be fenced.
Sure , but there's a bit of a difference in not fencing a bluff or government land and having" cattle and horses roam the roadside daily because your fences are in disrepair"

There are places where there are no fences along the road. Cattle decide they don't want to stay in the hills any longer and come wandering down. It is open range. There are lots of signs saying open range watch out for livestock. It is a big world things are different in different places. Closer to town and this gets rare. Further out in the sticks you are the more common it is. This ain't Texas (thank God).

There are places where there are no fences along the road. Cattle decide they don't want to stay in the hills any longer and come wandering down. It is open range. There are lots of signs saying open range watch out for livestock. It is a big world things are different in different places. Closer to town and this gets rare. Further out in the sticks you are the more common it is. This ain't Texas (thank God).

Yes in Texas we believe in taking care of our business.
someone who regularly grazes the public road is considered a slob.
And BTW. We have open range and rough country to. 😆

How close is your nearest neighbor? Maybe scarcity of people factors in.
My nearest neighbor that's not family living on the place. Is about 3/4 mile.
Same distance to the public road. I have no public road frontage. Completely landlocked.

I don't see what proximity of neighbors is to keeping cattle off a public road, and I wasn't speaking of my situation specifically.

I don't see what proximity of neighbors is to keeping cattle off a public road, and I wasn't speaking of my situation specifically.

One of the things I included in 2020 in my recommendations to the county regarding new/updated/changed requirements for ag exemption was perimeter fence inspection.
One person lets livestock roam free in the public domain makes us all look bad, especially if it causes an accident.

Latest posts