Price of silage by the ton?

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy":fijefsst said:
What's the going price for silage picked up by the ton, $30 a ton?
Haven't heard a price this year. A couple years ago though they were paying the farmer almost this month for standing corn before it was even cut, hauled and packed.

Saw some projections on rations at $35 a ton. General rule of thumb around here is roughly 10 X price of corn per bushel.

bmoore87":xpkg5aim said:
Saw some projections on rations at $35 a ton. General rule of thumb around here is roughly 10 X price of corn per bushel.
Is that just for the standing corn or the finished product?

TexasBred":xhxo0i24 said:
bmoore87":xhxo0i24 said:

The $35 projection included harvesting. I would think the 10 times rule would to but not completely sure.

Decided to pass as it was late planted corn, just starting to dent. Instead I've purchased corn screenings and DDGs and I'm blending them 2/3's screenings, 1/3 distillers.
Half done,

Plan to feed it with an auger bucket a local shop put together for me

Fresh paint

TexasBred":2crv58yb said:
bmoore87":2crv58yb said:
10 x is rule of thumb for corn silage coming out of a silo, so finished product.

Chicago corn 3.77 and In Mn our basis is -55 cents
new crop cash corn 3.22 = $32 ton for stored corn silage here in Minnesota

Son of Butch":9j3r6xo9 said:
TexasBred":9j3r6xo9 said:
bmoore87":9j3r6xo9 said:
10 x is rule of thumb for corn silage coming out of a silo, so finished product.

Chicago corn 3.77 and In Mn our basis is -55 cents
new crop cash corn 3.22 = $32 ton for stored corn silage here in Minnesota
But can you actually find someone selling corn for $3.22 and silage for $32? Freight???

[/quote]But can you actually find someone selling corn for $3.22 and silage for $32? Freight???[/quote]

The corn sold to processor is around that in our area, you cant buy it back for that though. The silage I would highly doubt it only in rare cases were a close neighbor has some left over otherwise freight adds up quick on something with as much volume as corn silage and most crop farmers do not like the amount that you take off the ground when chopping to want to sell it. Think these numbers are more for deciding if your better combining your own it or buying a group of cattle and chopping and putting the feed through them.

Latest posts