Price of range cubes in your area?

Help Support CattleToday:

nap":209or8z5 said:
I should have mentioned in my original post that the cubes I purchased are 20% protein.

If you have something to haul in, you could get a load of cotton seed hulls around Bradley, dump it off at your place, get a load of rice bran in Stuttgart, and grow your own corn (or substitute), and mixed 'em all up in a mixer and have money left over.

HerefordSire":ymfcf7kg said:
nap":ymfcf7kg said:
I should have mentioned in my original post that the cubes I purchased are 20% protein.

If you have something to haul in, you could get a load of cotton seed hulls around Bradley, dump it off at your place, get a load of rice bran in Stuttgart, and grow your own corn (or substitute), and mixed 'em all up in a mixer and have money left over.

Sounds like a lot of work HerefordSire. I take it that you think I payed too much for range cubes.

HerefordSire":3lbctl8j said:
nap":3lbctl8j said:

Depends on how much cubes you feed.

To do it your way you need to shell out for:
Tractor, fuel, grinder/mixer, augers, feed bins, feeders and time/labor.

Can buy a lot of cubes for the initial investment in grinding/mixing your own feed. Need to feed more than a ton or two of cubes a year.

Paid $368/T in early October for 20% all natural cubes. Hope they have come down some since then.

Farmgirl

1982vett":1ktjfzdp said:
HerefordSire":1ktjfzdp said:
nap":1ktjfzdp said:

Can buy a lot of cubes for the initial investment in grinding/mixing your own feed. Need to feed more than a ton or two of cubes a year.

I don't understand how any rancher has any choice in the matter. If you have to pay range cube prices, the odds are you are not making money. Arkansas is the largest Rice producer in the country...take advantage of the by products. Prices are very inexpensive in Stuttgart. There are many cotton growers around Bradley including Northern Louisiana and East Texas. Buy the hybred corn seed, lime, & fertilizer now while prices are down. If one doesn't have these resources available for these items, the chances of you going out of business is very high...unless you have some super-duper great grass.

nap":26ija3hv said:
HerefordSire":26ija3hv said:
nap":26ija3hv said:

Sounds like a lot of work HerefordSire. I take it that you think I payed too much for range cubes.

I hear you. I don't know if you got a good deal or not as I don''t buy them. I have heard from couple of people I know buy around Little Rock somewhere for about $225/T (not sure of protein but it is probably comparable). Even at that price, if you have the numbers to make a living on cattle, it is too high. If you don't have the numbers to make a living in cattle....er...stop the leak in the bath tub before you ruin the floor.

HerefordSire":11vwcupw said:
1982vett":11vwcupw said:

I don't understand how any rancher has any choice in the matter. If you have to pay range cube prices, the odds are you are not making money. Arkansas is the largest Rice producer in the country...take advantage of the by products. Prices are very inexpensive in Stuttgart. There are many cotton growers around Bradley including Northern Louisiana and East Texas. Buy the hybred corn seed, lime, & fertilizer now while prices are down. If one doesn't have these resources available for these items, the chances of you going out of business is very high...unless you have some super-duper great grass.

How much is rice bran in Stuttgart? Runs about $160 down here delivered in semi loads. Cottonseed hulls would only be a more expensive, less nutritious replacement for hay. No need to go that route unless you're out of hay and/or grazing.

As for cow numbers. Big ain't always best and doubling the size of the herd don't double profits...only headaches.

TexasBred":26mq874i said:
HerefordSire":26mq874i said:
1982vett":26mq874i said:

How much is rice bran in Stuttgart? Runs about $160 down here delivered in semi loads. Cottonseed hulls would only be a more expensive, less nutritious replacement for hay. No need to go that route unless you're out of hay and/or grazing.

As for cow numbers. Big ain't always best and doubling the size of the herd don't double profits...only headaches.

If I remember correctly it was $50/T but I think that price was after the runup in commodity prices and not before or after. I am thinking the low was around $25/T and you pickup. There are also diefferent grades of bran you can choose. Where there are cottonseed hulls there is cottonseed which is high in protein, both of which can be discounted relative to value added products such as range cubes or tubs. The volume around Bradley makes it affordable filler and protein substitute. I have seen several mix cured chicken litter in replace of the cottonseed. When mixing with corn, the bran, and the cotton seed hulls/seeds make a very affordable ratio for slick and heavy cattle/calves relative to range cubes. As long as the cows get rebred, like with using range cubes, the rations can save you a ton of money if your numbers are up. My point about the numbers is... the larger volume...the lower the cost. After all, it would be too much work for less than 50-100 head unless you have adequate storage facilities.

Are range cubes the same as cow cake? If they are I just had a semi load delivered at 195/ton. Cake is made up of the following: 40% Alfalfa, 30% Barley, 20% Canola Meal, 10% Soymeal. Seems to be pretty good cake, cows sure don't complain.

badroute":3f6dkqn6 said:
Are range cubes the same as cow cake? If they are I just had a semi load delivered at 195/ton. Cake is made up of the following: 40% Alfalfa, 30% Barley, 20% Canola Meal, 10% Soymeal. Seems to be pretty good cake, cows sure don't complain.

I think a lot of people throw the word "cake" around loosely when referring to different kinds of cubes ect. Use to you could buy "slabs of cake". Pure cottonseed meal made into a slab or "cake". Some places still make straight cottonseed meal cubes rather than have the old pressed cake....Have also heard cubes of various protein levels referred to as "cake" and they could have dozens of different ingredients in the formulation. I guess it just depends on "where you live" and what the word "cake" typically means in your area.

20% cubes $300 here in 50# bag, bought some today just to lead cows with. Cottonseed 21% $230 ton 8 miles from farm, Rice bran $100 ton 50 miles, rice scrap/waste $40 ton 80 miles, corn gluten 60 miles but don't know price.

jedstivers":3txhwtdf said:
20% cubes $300 here in 50# bag, bought some today just to lead cows with. Cottonseed 21% $230 ton 8 miles from farm, Rice bran $100 ton 50 miles, rice scrap/waste $40 ton 80 miles, corn gluten 60 miles but don't know price.

Thanks for the information. It looks like there may be some saving using the alternate choices, but I sure like the convenience of handling bagged range cubes.

Latest posts