price of milk

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aero":g7dsu63i said:
are there any health dangers milking a cow that has been nursed regularly by a calf? (all on pasture)

My father tells me that when they were growing up, they would get the milk right from the tap. Thirsty? Bump the calf out of the way and get on the teat yourself.

He's pushing 80 now and doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects of "fresh" milk.

I kind of like the idea of getting a Jersy, breeding her to the angus bull, raising the calf for meat and milking the cow when we need milk. The calf can get the rest.

chippie":3mre43gs said:
We have Jersey cows and the ones in milk are fed 8 lbs twice daily plus pastured & hay. One can get buy on less depending on the quality of the feed (protein content), forage, and how much milk you want to produce.

I disagree with Milkmaid about the amount that a cow should be fed. On a good cow, what you feed is turned into milk. I've seen so many nurse cows look like be nice because the owner doesn't feed the cow correctly. Sure, dairy cows are lean and angular, but they should not be plum skinny and poor.

what happened to cows eating grass? is it such a strange concept for the cow to be able to graze enough for milk and not die of starvation?

Nothing wrong with grazing. Milk production will depend on the quality of the grass and days in milk. A holstein or jersey with good genetics should produce enough milk on grass alone to furnish a gallon a day for home consumption and even raise a couple of calves at minimum. As your grass loses protein and digestibility the mik production will certainly decline but the calves should be old enough to wean by then as well. But it certainly won't hurt anything to supplement her if you wish. She'll love you for it. (Don't forget to get her bred back as well).

Well our cows graze a jiggs pasture. During the winter months they are fed free choice jiggs hay.
A dairy cow will produce milk on just grass like a beef cow, but if you want more milk you supplement.
The same goes for some beef cattle. Some need supplements, others don't.

We like a high butterfat content because we make our own butter, so we feed a high protein dairy feed.

If you want skim milk, don't supplement.

chippie":10pveed3 said:
Well our cows graze a jiggs pasture. During the winter months they are fed free choice jiggs hay.
A dairy cow will produce milk on just grass like a beef cow, but if you want more milk you supplement.

We like a high butterfat content because we make our own butter, so we feed a high protein dairy feed.

huh :?: :?: :?:

TexasBred":4wk24ty1 said:
chippie":4wk24ty1 said:

huh :?: :?: :?:

My guess is that his cow is not eating 18% coastal. :D :D :D

Well grain don't make butterfat. You'll get higher butterfat (whole milk) feeding grass and hay. Grain will raise the protein level but can and will depress butterfat levels. Just about any dairy cow on any typical diet will give 2.5% butterfat milk which is far from skim milk.

TexasBred":rku8y4f6 said:
Well grain don't make butterfat. You'll get higher butterfat (whole milk) feeding grass and hay. Grain will raise the protein level but can and will depress butterfat levels. Just about any dairy cow on any typical diet will give 2.5% butterfat milk which is far from skim milk.

Dad always had a jersey or two. The one I have now is 1/2 jersey 1/2 holstein. The cream is not nearly as thick as what Dad's cows produced. I am not sure of fat content but it is much better than whole milk. Is whole milk not 4% ??

Mostly I use her for a nurse cow and only milk her when I have to. She gets a little sweet feed. Last calculation had grain cost at $55 per calf over the duration. I am sure it has gone up since feed prices have escalated.

backhoeboogie":3ez7g1ej said:
TexasBred":3ez7g1ej said:

Dad always had a jersey or two. The one I have now is 1/2 jersey 1/2 holstein. The cream is not nearly as thick as what Dad's cows produced. I am not sure of fat content but it is much better than whole milk. Is whole milk not 4% ??

Mostly I use her for a nurse cow and only milk her when I have to. She gets a little sweet feed. Last calculation had grain cost at $55 per calf over the duration. I am sure it has gone up since feed prices have escalated.

Butterfat requirements for calculation of milk payments is 3.5%.....a jersey normally will run from 4.5% to as high as 6-7% fat in the milk. That's why it's so good.....high fat..lolol

mnmtranching":sty3hvxv said:
Heck, when the kids were little I milked a Black Angus Cow. :cowboy: Real tame and a easy milker. I did give her grain. We made butter once a week or so with the cream. I milked a couple quarts each evening then let the calf on her, separated the calf in the morning. Made extra work, but the kids loved the milk. Maybe should do that again. 8)
Sounds like a good plan until a person remembers all the deer around you and the TB then pasteurized milk looks alot better.

Mister Somn, Is that really :help: the best you could come up with. :frowns: :frowns:
Boring :!: :!: :!:

mnmtranching":kq4kg16n said:
Mister Somn, Is that really :help: the best you could come up with. :frowns: :frowns:
Yep that is the best I could come up with you would never catch me drinking unpasteurized milk from anywhere in MN or Michigan anymore.

somn":1f4xqhvp said:
mnmtranching":1f4xqhvp said:
Yep that is the best I could come up with you would never catch me drinking unpasteurized milk from anywhere in MN or Michigan anymore.

How about ND, SD,IA. or WI. Would that be OK?

mnmtranching":tq56s2yh said:
somn":tq56s2yh said:
mnmtranching":tq56s2yh said:

How about ND, SD,IA. or WI. Would that be OK?
Maybe if I was really thirsty.

Mr Somn, Do you need that "T" Bone irradiated cause some prairie fairy out in SF got a tummy ache. :frowns: :frowns:

mnmtranching somehow you have gotten off the topic I was addressing of the dangers of drinking unpasteurized milk produced by cows from Bovine TB positive states to wanting to irradiate a tbone. Try to stay on the same topic my 2 year old has a better attention span than this.

somn":34bzpog5 said:
mnmtranching somehow you have gotten off the topic I was addressing of the dangers of drinking unpasteurized milk produced by cows from Bovine TB positive states to wanting to irradiate a tbone. Try to stay on the same topic my 2 year old has a better attention span than this.

And watch out for bridges and meteorites. :help:

mnmtranching":3c37kpzw said:
somn":3c37kpzw said:

And watch out for bridges and meteorites. :help:

MM...actually the odds of getting killed by a falling meteorites are probably higher than the odds of getting TB from raw milk. Research has been done on it and the chances are almost nill.

Status
Not open for further replies.