price of land in your area

Help Support CattleToday:

Around here prices are above $1M/ac, usually around $1,250. Some is going for considerably more. Five or six years ago a lot of that same land could be had for $750-900.

It's the big city money that is inflating everything. City folks are looking to set up weekend retreats. The quirky thing about it is that the sorrier the land the more it will bring. They are looking for terrain and scenery, and cover for game, not good farm or grass land.

Craig-TX

I have been listening to Neal Boortz at night while driving. He talks about how the government is taking land away from property owners in many states (when they refuse to sell) and they condem it so that the developers can build shopping malls, housing developments, and condos. They give the land owner a very small fraction of the value and they cannot do anything about it. This brings in more revenue and tax dollars for the cities and towns. Farm land doesn't bring near as much tax dolllars as a 5 million condo would. If someone took my land away from me under these circumstances, I would never get over it. Grudge would not be the word. I am sure I would be in the penn in a matter of time. :mad: I can't imagine the man that brings that idea up taking the land and feels good about it. He would need to relocate. It's bad enough when they start running highways through your land.

Problem around here is that no one has big land anymore. Its all 100 ac and below. Around my pasture there are folks that have 2-10 ac tracts. They put up a really crappy mobile home and lots of trash. I can't imagine why people bring old refrigerators and old beat-up cars to their 2 ac tract and just dump them. :mad:
I only have 40 ac but plan to buy some more soon. However, I refuse to even leave an empty coke can in my land. I don't want to see anything man made (except for a fence).

Go figure.

Andrew

I'm with you Andrew, We bought an attached 52 acre pacel with about 35 acres in pasture which needed recaptured, has a run down old house on it, someone lived in it a year ago but needs septic, and water to it (it's a hay barn this year). I had 21 old cars hauled off of it, three truck loads to the dump of everything you could imagine, glass jars, car parts, tin cans, sheet metal, cement, plastic, it was just where they put thier garbage for years. :mad: Pigs aren't that dirty so I won't insult pigs. No one would take the old tires, about 200, so I ended up bringing in a cat and pushing as much as I could into a low area and fenced it off, luckily the mess was confined to about 2 acres. We built a barn on top of some of cleared area, with fill on it, and put a road in over some, we have about 1/2 acre to hand pick now and need to hand pick around the house. I just don't understand how someone can do that to the land. I'll find a candy wrapper outside and chase down our sons to find out who did it and make sure next time the garbage goes in thier pocket.

Oh, to stay on topic we paid 130k for 52+ acres with the house and now our own private dump on about 1/4 acre, no raw garbage allowed! I bought it through a private party, never listed, I think I got a pretty good buy. Located in NW Oregon.

Invest in land...God's not making any more.

Alan

Alan

On taking land from folks, in Arlington, TX, where the Dallas cowboys are gonna build their new stadium, the city is taking the land from the homeowners to build the stadium rather they want to sell or not. What sucks is the land isn't real valuable, and the homeowners want enough money to move somewhere else and buy a house, but the city only wants to pay appraised value. Some of these houses are 30-40 yrs old and only worth 30-40 grand, and there's no way they can afford to buy a house anywhere else in Dallas/Ft. Worth for that kind of money!

eric":1sgoiid9 said:
On taking land from folks, in Arlington, TX, where the Dallas cowboys are gonna build their new stadium, the city is taking the land from the homeowners to build the stadium rather they want to sell or not. What sucks is the land isn't real valuable, and the homeowners want enough money to move somewhere else and buy a house, but the city only wants to pay appraised value. Some of these houses are 30-40 yrs old and only worth 30-40 grand, and there's no way they can afford to buy a house anywhere else in Dallas/Ft. Worth for that kind of money!

What ever happened to limited gov.