price of feed

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
i just got done buying 2 sacks of sweet feed.cost $11.62/100. an that was the cheap feed.so how much is feed costing everyone here.scott

Feed MFM 12% pellets $12.00/100
MFM XL New Age SR horse diet pellets $14.00/100

Don't feed sweet feed, but I will find out what it cost.

sounds like level feed prices so far. i know hen feed went up .65 cents /50lbs. scott

Does no one feed just feed. Corn, bran, ddg, oats , etc. Does every one on the whole board feed Go Go Juice, or Do Better Cattle Conditioner. Ever lick mineral , Magic Mineral, No one feeds 12%phos 12%calcium 12% salt with trace minerals x,x,x How are you suspose to know what deal is the best if it is always private label beginer feed. Good grief.

ollie":2lmmxv9k said:
Does no one feed just feed. Corn, bran, ddg, oats , etc. Does every one on the whole board feed Go Go Juice, or Do Better Cattle Conditioner. Ever lick mineral , Magic Mineral, No one feeds 12%phos 12%calcium 12% salt with trace minerals x,x,x How are you suspose to know what deal is the best if it is always private label beginer feed. Good grief.
Dang'it ollie, you got that one right.

ollie":2eqck7gs said:

I just deleated a post on this thread...thought maybe I ought to just keep quite beins I'm in such a foul mood tonight.
But since Ollie is right there with me... ;-)

When I need feed, I load some ear corn into the gravity box, bout half full or whatever looks like bout the same as last time. Then I shovel some oats (wheat next year) out of the grainery. Just about 520 shovel fulls.
Then I add the mineral and start toward the neighbor's place. He houses the grinder cause his barn roof doesn't leak and he uses it more often.
Grind it and return it to the gravity box.
Take it home and park it under my leaky barn roof.

What does it cost??? Fuel to plant it, harvest it and haul the wagon 5 miles to neighbor and back. UMMM, not sure what it costs me.

certherfbeef":235yoik9 said:
ollie":235yoik9 said:

I just deleated a post on this thread...thought maybe I ought to just keep quite beins I'm in such a foul mood tonight.
But since Ollie is right there with me... ;-)

When I need feed, I load some ear corn into the gravity box, bout half full or whatever looks like bout the same as last time. Then I shovel some oats (wheat next year) out of the grainery. Just about 520 shovel fulls.
Then I add the mineral and start toward the neighbor's place. He houses the grinder cause his barn roof doesn't leak and he uses it more often.
Grind it and return it to the gravity box.
Take it home and park it under my leaky barn roof.

What does it cost??? Fuel to plant it, harvest it and haul the wagon 5 miles to neighbor and back. UMMM, not sure what it costs me.

Certs and ollie - even Caustic says feeding from a sack is a loser.

But ....

You two behave yourselves or I will come down there with a big stick and demand a meal, a tour and a couch!

Now behave!

:lol:

Bez

i dont feed cattle less its real cold. but when i do i use this same feed an mix creep feed with it.scott

We don't even have a key to any of the doors. They are open. If I am not home put some coffee on and help yourself to the fridge. Might be some homemade bread or cake on the bar. Save me a piece.

Sometimes I feed but when I do I like to know what is in it.

ollie":1sb8sjfd said:
We don't even have a key to any of the doors. They are open. If I am not home put some coffee on and help yourself to the fridge. Might be some homemade bread or cake on the bar. Save me a piece.

Same goes for me Bez,

Not much here to look at though. But if Ollie's cake is a touch dry...I've always got a longneck in the frig to wash it down!

Oh and save that last bite of the hereford burger for the pup. You don't share you will get bit. ;-)
Come on down!!

ollie":l82xzg0g said:
Sometimes I feed but when I do I like to know what is in it.

If it is going to be floor sweepings, nice to be your own sweepings off your own barn floor.

ollie":2fzt84w1 said:
I agree, Ollie,
But for the small farm, or hobby farmer, it's the only way for him/her to feed.They most likely don't have grain bins, feed grinders, etc.They might be fortunate enough to have a neighbor, that can sell some of his ground Corn, or Oats.
These are the people keeping the Feed Companies in business.If you only have a few head, you're pretty much forced to feed out of the sack.

my cows look at you funny when it comes to feed. so not much eating out of feed sack here. scott

Crowderfarms":21dsoi3r said:
ollie":21dsoi3r said:
I agree, Ollie,
But for the small farm, or hobby farmer, it's the only way for him/her to feed.They most likely don't have grain bins, feed grinders, etc.They might be fortunate enough to have a neighbor, that can sell some of his ground Corn, or Oats.
These are the people keeping the Feed Companies in business.If you only have a few head, you're pretty much forced to feed out of the sack.

Point is - WHY FEED AT ALL?

If you are raising animals for home use or for small local ssales - or just to raise a calf or two - grass, mineral and water are all that is necessary. If you are showing - i will give you that one. If you are finishing, buy bulk and store in a big wooden box - 8'x8'x8' - cheap and effective - blow the feed in with the delivery truck - shovel it out as required. Lots of major operations in the prairies still work this way. Still lots of wooden grain bins being used in the flat lands.

We get down to minus 50 and colder here - we also spend weeks and months sometimes in wet conditions. Nothing here gets a supplemental feed unless it is sick or the weather drops below minus 30 - or the wind chill drops below minus 30.

Breed the sick / weak / lame and lazy out of the herd. Better herd. Better profit. Better taste. Better fertility and certainly less effort required to look after them. Size of operation is irrelevant - all works the same.

Bez

Hard to breed the drought out of the cattle though Bez. Sometimes you have to feed. I sometimes feed out of a sack , sometimes bulk. Point is I always know the ingredients in the feed.

ollie":18tlunhc said:
Hard to breed the drought out of the cattle though Bez. Sometimes you have to feed. I sometimes feed out of a sack , sometimes bulk. Point is I always know the ingredients in the feed.

I will give you that one - trucking hay sometimes works - in the end we always take the cows to the feed. Far cheaper in the long run.

My comments were directed to those who feed when conditions are normal.

Cheers

Bez

Bez":275k2j4h said:
ollie":275k2j4h said:

I will give you that one - trucking hay sometimes works - in the end we always take the cows to the feed. Far cheaper in the long run.

My comments were directed to those who feed when conditions are normal.

Cheers

Bez
I don't know why anyone feeds when conditions are normal But, some people do. Usually to keep em' tame, I immagine. If we don't get some rain here soon, a lot of people are going to be feeding real soon.Hay or Grain...

Latest posts