Price of bull

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

ANy thoughts on the asking price of a bull. I looked at a reg. angus bull yesterday. The bull is approximately 2 yrs old and weighs around 950 - 1000. He has a BW epd of 5.2. The owner wants 1100 dollars for him. I think he is way off in price, the bull is undersized and his epd is terrible for heifers and maybe even some cows. Any thoughts?

If his BW EPD turns out fairly accurate you may not want him if he gave him to you.

As far as price goes he has him priced OK, but I wouldn't recomened to buy him. Just because he is registered doesn't mean that he should be.

Guest":3iaawgj3 said:
ANy thoughts on the asking price of a bull. I looked at a reg. angus bull yesterday. The bull is approximately 2 yrs old and weighs around 950 - 1000. He has a BW epd of 5.2. The owner wants 1100 dollars for him. I think he is way off in price, the bull is undersized and his epd is terrible for heifers and maybe even some cows. Any thoughts?

"Approximately 2 yrs old.." Did you see his registration papers? Do you know for sure he's registered? If you think the price is too high on the bull, find another. The BW is high, but what are the WW and YW EPDs? If they are considerably higher than breed average, he might be a good bull to use on mature cows. Personally, I would not be interested in buying a 2 year old Angus bull that only weighs 1000 lbs. There's more to developing a bull to his genetic potential than many people realize, but even if the bull was raised on nothing but grass, it's small for a two year old bull.

Sounds like that bull should be a steer. BW too high and if he had good WW or YW numbers he wouldnt be such a squirt himself.
With Angus you can be real picky and still stay within a few hundred dollars of that steer otta be. As my Dad says" like begats like"
Hillbilly

Got a question, sounds to me the bull is very under sized, but it could be from nurition reasons. If you have a great genetic bull but for nutrional reasons that should not reflect the resuults of off spring from him right.

I wouldn't use a thousand pound two year old if he had a hundred national champions and a hundred carcass champions in his pedigree. I wouldn't use a thousand dollar bull except a a gomer either. Steers are bringing twelve hundred.

he sounds very small for being 2 years of age, but if you can find a good bull for that price, jump on it

As far as price, that's actually reasonable to cheap for a registered bull, but like everyone else has already pointed out, his EPD's are not good, and he is too small for his age.

We generally spend $2500 - $4000 for a herd bull

The cheapest way to go is probably A.I.ing one year to the best bull possible. Keeping that bull calf around and breeding him to the herd. Sell or Seperate his mama and sisters if your worried about it and go on. We figured it up and with feed it still saved us about $400 to save our own bulls instead of buying new ones. You can stick that money in your pocket and go get all the free bull you can handle at the corner coffee shop.

Latest posts