Price of Bermuda Hay this year?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Where is the price of good Bermuda grass hay going to go this year?

Here in Mid-GA that is what we feed in the winter. With the price of natural way gas up and that of nitrogen fertilizer following in the jet stream of it, I just got an an estimate of $4000 for 3 applications on 30 acres. WOW.

What about chicken litter?

Bill

Price of diesel is also a factor, my guy who bales for me has gone up to $18 per round bale to cut & bale my own hay. Fertilizer & weed-killer ran above $1800 for first application on 50 acres here (Central Texas)
> Where is the price of good Bermuda
> grass hay going to go this year?

> Here in Mid-GA that is what we
> feed in the winter. With the price
> of natural way gas up and that of
> nitrogen fertilizer following in
> the jet stream of it, I just got
> an an estimate of $4000 for 3
> applications on 30 acres. WOW.

> What about chicken litter?

> Bill

[email protected]

Central Texas prices are 65 to 75 for a 4x5 roll , here usually figure 4 rolls to a cow that's 260 to 300 per cow , sure don.t leave much room for profit.

1982vett":2x5p7out said:
Not going to be any around here if it doesn't start raining........... and keep it up.
How bored do you have to be to dredge up a 9 year old post?

dun":13f1lo3h said:
1982vett":13f1lo3h said:
Not going to be any around here if it doesn't start raining........... and keep it up.
How bored do you have to be to dredge up a 9 year old post?

Minutes seem like days when watching radar loops, wishing one of them would come your way...... but then, I was just commenting on Cowboy43's post........

cowboy43":13f1lo3h said:
Re: Price of Bermuda Hay this year?
by cowboy43 on Tue May 25, 2010 5:16 pm

Central Texas prices are 65 to 75 for a 4x5 roll , here usually figure 4 rolls to a cow that's 260 to 300 per cow , sure don.t leave much room for profit

9 years? :shock: :lol: Bout the last time it rained regularly. :D

Dun
You are sharp to have caught the date that quick, I was searching back looking for stocker grazing and ran across this, it points out our problems never change no rain, prices too high, cattle bring too little. it seems like we may have a couple good years out if ten.

cowboy43":2st1piw8 said:
Dun
You are sharp to have caught the date that quick, I was searching back looking for stocker grazing and ran across this, it points out our problems never change no rain, prices too high, cattle bring too little. it seems like we may have a couple good years out if ten.
Gee, "Sounds like life to me"
http://www.cmt.com/videos/darryl-worley ... o-me.jhtml

I can't believe somebody would complain about cattle prices being too low. Have you not sold cattle are at least seen the prices lately? I would consider cattle prices to be very good right now. As far as prices of other things being too high, that is a subjective view. Compared to the past couple of years most input costs are down from where they had been. I guess some people are just never satisfied.

I don't think anybody has any good clean coastal hay around here yet....1st cutting had worlds of wild rye in it. I've seen it advertised at $45 to $55 a round bale. Didn't say how large the bales were.

TexasBred":3s27mni4 said:
I don't think anybody has any good clean coastal hay around here yet....1st cutting had worlds of wild rye in it. I've seen it advertised at $45 to $55 a round bale. Didn't say how large the bales were.
Haven't even fertilized mine yet....... Seldom and erratic "rain"......ain't going to risk or waste the money. More power to the irrigated and anyone lucky enough to get it timed right. I'm out till later. My bet is on millet and it isn't looking to good.

1982vett":2wmrfot7 said:
TexasBred":2wmrfot7 said:
Haven't even fertilized mine yet....... Seldom and erratic "rain"......ain't going to risk or waste the money. More power to the irrigated and anyone lucky enough to get it timed right. I'm out till later. My bet is on millet and it isn't looking to good.
None of my millet or sorgum came up, but the hay beans are going nuts

After going through about 6 or 8 different hay producers in past 8 years, we have finally found a quality producer in Texas Panhandle region who has heavily fertilized, weed free bermuda that is testing 14 to 18% protein (we don't feed cubes because we're on a USDA grass fed program). Our current producer 2009 and 2010 is real honest and reliable. Last fall we forward contracted a number of semi-loads starting with his first cuttings.

Anyway, our 2010 price is $68 for a 1400# 5x6 round bale, delivered. Quality wise, on a CP basis, this is the cheapest hay we have ever bought! In past, we were forced to buy anything we could find...and have been "socked it to us" as much as $100 a round bale, with 1/2 the protein and some weeds. Moral to this story is...when you find quality hay and a reliable, honest supplier, do what it takes to find money to buy as much as you can NOW. Cattle eat less high quality hay than poor hay since they get the nutrition they need eating less of the good stuff...JMO.

IF, however, a cattle person has winter or spring "green" grazing, and/or feeds Range Cubes, then, obviously they can get by with lower quality hay (roughage).

Running Arrow Bill":31hs5ven said:
Cattle eat less high quality hay than poor hay since they get the nutrition they need eating less of the good stuff...JMO.
I would argue the exact opposite. High quality hay is digested faster which leads to faster passage through the GI tract. Cows eat until their guts are full, not when they have reached a certain level of nutrition. I'm not arguing against high quality hay, but you will get more pounds in a cow than low quality hay.

Running Arrow Bill":3rgdfkv3 said:
After going through about 6 or 8 different hay producers in past 8 years, we have finally found a quality producer in Texas Panhandle region who has heavily fertilized, weed free bermuda that is testing 14 to 18% protein (we don't feed cubes because we're on a USDA grass fed program). Our current producer 2009 and 2010 is real honest and reliable. Last fall we forward contracted a number of semi-loads starting with his first cuttings.

Anyway, our 2010 price is $68 for a 1400# 5x6 round bale, delivered. Quality wise, on a CP basis, this is the cheapest hay we have ever bought! In past, we were forced to buy anything we could find...and have been "socked it to us" as much as $100 a round bale, with 1/2 the protein and some weeds. Moral to this story is...when you find quality hay and a reliable, honest supplier, do what it takes to find money to buy as much as you can NOW. Cattle eat less high quality hay than poor hay since they get the nutrition they need eating less of the good stuff...JMO.

IF, however, a cattle person has winter or spring "green" grazing, and/or feeds Range Cubes, then, obviously they can get by with lower quality hay (roughage).
Feeding hay of that quality you don't need cubes.....and $68 is a bargain if the rolls actually weigh that much. Wish I had some of that.

novaman":i8nkkv80 said:
Running Arrow Bill":i8nkkv80 said:
Cattle eat less high quality hay than poor hay since they get the nutrition they need eating less of the good stuff...JMO.
I would argue the exact opposite. High quality hay is digested faster which leads to faster passage through the GI tract. Cows eat until their guts are full, not when they have reached a certain level of nutrition. I'm not arguing against high quality hay, but you will get more pounds in a cow than low quality hay.
Check the ADF and NDF on your hay...that will tell you a lot about consumption.

Latest posts