Price of beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Mycows

Reaction score
Hello, I am selling three cows. A gentleman offered me .50cents per pound liveweight. I thought they were .85cents to $1.00 per pound liveweight. Is his figure in the ballpark or is he trying to buy them at half price? The cows are Scottish Highlands and ages 4-7. So what is the market bringing liveweight here in the eastern US.? Thanks....Dennis

Mycows":2qrzvum5 said:
Hello, I am selling three cows. A gentleman offered me .50cents per pound liveweight. I thought they were .85cents to $1.00 per pound liveweight. Is his figure in the ballpark or is he trying to buy them at half price? The cows are Scottish Highlands and ages 4-7. So what is the market bringing liveweight here in the eastern US.? Thanks....Dennis
.50 cents a lb isnt to bad for those cows.but he is offering you weigh cow price for them.are they bred or have calves at side.

I looked up the local market report for last Saturday and slaughter cows were .38 to .58 per lb.

Stockers (bred cows) were $550.00 to $1,000.00.

Pairs were $800.00 to $1275.00.

Keep in mind that the low end cows will be pretty rough. Also the prices in your area may be a little different. If someone from your area doesn't chime in you could contact the local extension agent and maybe he could tell you where to find the info. Before we got our computer I would call the salebarn a few days after the sale and ask a price.

It would pay for you to have them palpated to see if they are bred.

Mycows":376cp5fi said:

These are Highland cattle - always a serious cut on price - be happy. They are not worth much for the average cattleman.

Taste fine, but not much of a commercial market. In my area you would be lucky to get 20 cents a pound for cows at the sale barn.

Or keep them.

Bez+

Lots to consider here. I have highland and highland cross cattle. These guys are right about what are the purposes for the sale. Is the guy going to butcher? Are they bred? Do they have calves. Are they registered? Are they purebred? Check gateopeners prices above, they are pretty consistant to rates around here. We sell to a small niche market and fill our freezer. We have a small operation and I can tell you that we could sell triple the beef we can carry!

If its a buyer, they will deduct for horns and hair from what I have been told.

P.S. the horns go for anywhere form $150.00 to $300.00 alone.

Good Luck

I know! Lots of yuppies like the looks of them over their mantel. From what my friends and breeders tell me they stick the horns in a swamp or lake and let it decompose and whala!

Aww now I get it AnguslimoX your making fun of my cooos! :lol: You may like them better now cause some are crossed with an angus!

MistyMorning":lvko0qtj said:
Aww now I get it AnguslimoX your making fun of my cooos! :lol: You may like them better now cause some are crossed with an angus!

Well yes that :lol: and amazing money for the horns. How do you market them?

ALX

Want ads, word of mouth, anitque dealers, one guy told me his butcher knew of someone who wanted one. Wonder how much longhorn heads go for?