price of barbed wire

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
i just got though buying a roll of barbed wire. an gave $46 for a roll of 2 pt 12.5 gauage american made wire. whats the cost where you live . scott

Pretty much the same, $50 a roll for what we call Oklahoma wire.

T-posts is what killed me a couple of weeks ago. Paid $2.98 each for heavy duty 6 foot one's. I only needed about 50 for a short run but went ahead and got 200 for future use. The way steel prices keep going up I figured I may as well stock up.

J

i bought 30 6ft t-post a few months back for $3.25 but who can gripe. gotta have wire. sounds like wire high everywhere. goodthing im only repairing fence . scott

T post are running 3.15 in north Al. The price of heavy duty gates has went out of sight. Just at the time I'm building a new corral. :x

If I recall correctly, I bought 1320 ft (one roll) of smooth wire for $46, roll of 2pt barbed wire same length for $52. T-posts...think they were at least $3.20 for the 5 1/2 footers I used on my temporary fence. Mighta been $3.60 for 6 footers on sale, or close to it.

465 foot fence, 3 strands of barbed wire, posts every 15 feet, cost about $200 in materials this spring.

prices sound consistent everyehere . the steel y post here went up as high as $5ea . wood post are about $6ea for 4incheres. scott

We can thank China for the price increase of Steel. They came over here and bought all the scrap steel they could find.This is for all the "modernization" of China, with it's Construction frenzy.From what I hear, scrap steel is back down to nearly nothing. Will it make prices go down again, to levels it was at a year and a half ago? I doubt it.

add to it they was buying from mexico as well. so we had to buy from mexico. but no it wont go down to where it was. like gas itll go down some . but never where it used tobe. scott

Crowderfarms":m6gu92tw said:
We can thank China for the price increase of Steel. They came over here and bought all the scrap steel they could find.This is for all the "modernization" of China, with it's Construction frenzy.From what I hear, scrap steel is back down to nearly nothing. Will it make prices go down again, to levels it was at a year and a half ago? I doubt it.

"Modernization" is right if you're referring to their military buildup. I'm sure we're supplying plenty of material for weaponry and an invasion fleet.

Rustler9":ynodulsn said:
Just paid $3.73 for 7 ft T-posts at TSC. :(

I bought a bunch from TSC last year (because no one could come close to their price) and built about 600' of fence. It wasn't until I got them unloaded that I noticed how light they were and each was stamped "MEXICO" on the side. They worked but the juries out on durability. From now on I make sure t-posts are the 1.33 lb. weight. They're worth a little extra.

4-point wire is about $39.00/roll and 6' t posts are $3.25 here in IL. Just built 1/2 mile of 5 wire and don't want to add up total price.

milesvb,

I ran into the same thing with the mexico light/cheap posts. Local TSC did not have any 6.5' so I had to drive to the next county over TSC to get the posts. I got a couple hundred so they loaded them with a fork truck and I never looked at them till I got home. Call TSC back up and said these were the wrong posts, I wanted the 1.33. They said these are the 1.33 and the only ones TSC will be ordering in the future. Said their other supplier could not deliver consistantly. I kept them because I was in a bind putting up new perimeter fence, but they are definately a cheaper grade, and I will be looking elsewhere for my next posts.

Conagher":3akjndk8 said:
milesvb,

I ran into the same thing with the mexico light/cheap posts. Local TSC did not have any 6.5' so I had to drive to the next county over TSC to get the posts. I got a couple hundred so they loaded them with a fork truck and I never looked at them till I got home. Call TSC back up and said these were the wrong posts, I wanted the 1.33. They said these are the 1.33 and the only ones TSC will be ordering in the future. Said their other supplier could not deliver consistantly. I kept them because I was in a bind putting up new perimeter fence, but they are definately a cheaper grade, and I will be looking elsewhere for my next posts.

When I plan on buying a significant amount of material (t-posts, wire, etc.) for a project, I make a lot of phone calls to find prices. But I learned pretty quick to inspect the merchandise carefully. For example I found a good price at McCoy's on heavy t-posts but when I got over there they were rusted up, many were bent and looked like they had been sitting out in the weather for 50 years. Now that I've found a couple places to get quality supplies I usually stick with them unless there is a drastic price increase or they change brands.

Man did I ever get lucky a few months ago. the Home Depot by my house is getting out of the farm fence business, as the newer stores dont carry any barbed wire or field fencing anymore. They had about 200 6 ft t-posts they were gonna put in the warehouse for who knows what for. Anyway, I offered the guy who ran the dept. 1.50 each, he made a phone call and told me if I took them all, then I could have them for 1.50 ea. Needless to say, I told him to load me up. (216 pcs.) And I got boxes of hot wire fittings too, for $5 for a few big boxes, as they were already taped up and ready to be sent away. I opened them up when I got home and there were all kinds of yellow clips and nail on connectors and corners and all kind of crap.

One of the few times I was in the right place at the right time I guess. They didnt want to deal on the field fencing, so I didnt get to pick any of that up. They said they buy it from the same company who sells them their chainlink fencing, and they could just send it back to them rather than sell it below cost.

The 3 inch diameter 7 foot pressure treated posts are cheaper than a 6 foot steel posts here. The steel are running aroung $3.60 and if you watch a person can buy the pt wood for about $3.00. Of course then you have to dig post holes if you don't have a driver. Wire sounds about the same, maybe a few cents higher but that is just the frieght getting out here.
Dave

In spring 04 we figured the prices would get high. TSC was having a sale on 2 pt Red Brand 12.5 guage. So we went to get a bunch. They were sold out. We waited 4 months, but got the sale price of $27 a roll. When we picked up our 30 rolls, they told us the price of Red Brand and Oklahoma Steel was $42. Sure glad we thought ahead. We may get time this winter to start re-building fence that we bought that wire for.

Right now, we're working on pens.