Price of a bred heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":n96xuv8l said:
vclavin":n96xuv8l said:
If bulls really could "throw" a particular weight calf, they'd be putting them on Holsteins that normally have 125lb calves. I have never heard of a bull that supposedly throws 65 lb calves having the ability to do that on a Holstein heifer.
By the way, 50 years of saying it doesn't make it true.
Before the black Angus got into the frame race we did use them on Holstein heifers and consistantly got small calves that grew well.
Doesn;t make it true but does make it common terminoly and way of expressing it.You mean like "Old Wives Tales"

I've never heard of 65lb Holstein calves!! By the way, not all Angus are huge framed, there are still small framed Angus that grow well..
Valerie

vclavin":1bcujxf9 said:
dun":1bcujxf9 said:
vclavin":1bcujxf9 said:
If bulls really could "throw" a particular weight calf, they'd be putting them on Holsteins that normally have 125lb calves. I have never heard of a bull that supposedly throws 65 lb calves having the ability to do that on a Holstein heifer.
By the way, 50 years of saying it doesn't make it true.
Before the black Angus got into the frame race we did use them on Holstein heifers and consistantly got small calves that grew well.
Doesn;t make it true but does make it common terminoly and way of expressing it.You mean like "Old Wives Tales"

I've never heard of 65lb Holstein calves!! By the way, not all Angus are huge framed, there are still small framed Angus that grow well..
Valerie
Talk to a dairyman from when angus were used for calving ease in heifers. Bakc then a 75 lb straight Holstein was pretty common.

i got family n the dairy biz and they breed there holstein heifers to angus bulls and normally get 70-80 lb calves.i know this because i usually buy there x calves.

vclavin":1a9rdeza said:
piedmontese":1a9rdeza said:
i got family n the dairy biz and they breed there holstein heifers to angus bulls and normally get 70-80 lb calves.i know this because i usually buy there x calves.

What weight are the calves from those mature cows?
Valerie
I dont know because they A.I. there mature cows to holstein bulls and i dont buy those calves.

piedmontese":3em35lm5 said:
vclavin":3em35lm5 said:
piedmontese":3em35lm5 said:

What weight are the calves from those mature cows?
Valerie
I dont know because they A.I. there mature cows to holstein bulls and i dont buy those calves.

You might ask. If they are in fact weighing those cross calves and not guessing the weights, then the purebred calves out of those cows are more than likely not 125lbs . If they are taking the time to weigh the crosses then they are more than likely taking the time to weight the purebreds. If you don't mind, please ask them.
Valerie

Limomike":38uzglvl said:
To me the price is high, but then again, I think EVERYTHING is high nowdays...

It's a hard time to buy in. Bred heifers around here are getting $1200 regardless what they are or what they're bred to.

bpwagner115":19hbrhj1 said:
Seems slightly irrational to totally dismiss the guy because he didn't fully describe his herd sire.

It is . . . slightly irrational. Go meet the guy and talk with him.

vclavin":8t7sar6f said:
Dun, Cow's throw 72lb calves not bulls!!

Funny. Whenever I look at an ai bull or something I might use for cleanup I always wonder to myself "what kind of calves will he throw"? I never knew the bull didn't play a role. In that case, it doesn't matter what kind of bull these heifers were covered with!!

angus9259":2ma7l9g0 said:
Limomike":2ma7l9g0 said:
To me the price is high, but then again, I think EVERYTHING is high nowdays...

It's a hard time to buy in. Bred heifers around here are getting $1200 regardless what they are or what they're bred to.

Two guys with big belt buckles and SD plates were at our last December stock cows sale. They bought all the "top" heifers (big and black) for $1300 to $1350, and seemed very very pleased with themselves.

I have never bought the "top" heifers so I am not sure just what you get for that kind of money. My guess is up to half become CAB within 18 months. :shock:

The other option would be to buy replacements and ai them myself, which would eliminate the problem of wondering about calving problems. Either option I will be paying a premium for the cattle that I buy, whether it be a bred or an open replacement. It seems like breds offer a quicker return on the investment. Dont know. Dont know. Buy high, sell low isn't exactly best business practice.

bpwagner115":jsy02oph said:
Buy high, sell low isn't exactly best business practice.

I didn't know there was another business plan!
Been doing this for years. Seems as if we are happy and so is my banker! At least they keep building nice new offices.

Latest posts