Price for pairs

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
What are commercial pairs going for in your area? Black cows with average of 300lb calves on the side. Some of these cows are second calvers and some as old as 8 years old. Best guess at an average price for average quality pairs in good condition?

At a commercial "back to farm" sale held at the local barn last week, similar pairs were going for $1500-$1800. There may have been some better ones that went over $2k, but I didn't see them. I didn't stay for the entire sale though. On average, seemed to be about $1k lower than last year at the same sale.

Top end young pairs are right against 2000. Most of the pairs can be bought under 1750. 8 year olds value depends on the size of the cows. Split price plus a little on them more than likely. Are the cows bred back?

Most pairs ran about $1400 last week. It took a real good pair to top $1500. I don't remember any going over $1600.

It's amazing how the prices have dropped off. I believe these cows are bred back. It's not a set I'm looking at, a friend is looking at them and I think their prices closer to $2000 a pair.

Good young pairs are still bringing up to the $2000 mark from what I read in the sale barn reports. Older cows with small calves not over $1500.

I bought a 4 year old with a heifer calf bred back a couple months today for $1525, got an older cow with a big bull calf bred back 4+ yesterday for $1200. Saw 7 old thin pairs pretty decent but small calves only bring $900-$1000.

Latest posts