Price Difference?

Help Support CattleToday:

Pickles Dillman

Reaction score
Ive got red and black angus cows. My buddy down the road has mostly reds and swears he gets top dollar for his red calves just as he does with his blacks. What difference in price, have any of ya'll seen in the two colors, come sale time?
Ive been looking at a really nice red bull to buy, but if there is gonna be a noticable drop in the market price then I will stick with ol' blacky.
Several opinions would be nice to see.
Thanks again all of ya, Pick

Every area is different and I beloeve that alot depends on how you market your cattle
salebarns, contracts or retain ownership thru feedlots or sell them straight off the farm

I also know several guys who always get top prices for their calves andI have watched them sell and was funny that the top prices they got paid wasn't the same as what I saw their calves sell for
and their calves were a dime cheaper than the highest selling calves in the barn of the same weight

But I guess I don't know what kind of math they are using

I had one guy tell me 2 yrs ago that his 5 wgt calves brought a $1.35pr lb and it was funny seeing the look on his face when I told him I wondered why the barn gave him a $1.35 when I bought all of his steers and only gave $1.21
I think I need to be selling at that barn instead of buying

Sold some last week. Avg. weight was 530 lbs. Pretty uniform group, other than color. Dark reds brought .98, blacks brought 1.01, and couple yellow/buff colored calves brought 1.04.

Pickles Dillman":2it74y1i said:
Ive got red and black angus cows. My buddy down the road has mostly reds and swears he gets top dollar for his red calves just as he does with his blacks. What difference in price, have any of ya'll seen in the two colors, come sale time?
Ive been looking at a really nice red bull to buy, but if there is gonna be a noticable drop in the market price then I will stick with ol' blacky.
Several opinions would be nice to see.
Thanks again all of ya, Pick

I'd hope that good cattle will outsell bad cattle, no matter the color. But the American Angus Assn has been running a program for several years called "Here's The Premium" where sale barns across the US compare similar lots of Angus calves and other calves. You might want to read this article:

http://www.angusjournal.com/articlePDF/herestheprem.pdf

There is a lot of junk black sold at Perham and Motley...

I think for similar quality there is a 2 to 3 cent /lb difference for groups of calves.
It gets ugly if you have mostly black and they sort off a couple red or cream colored calves - - then there is up to 5 or 10 cent per pound difference.

Latest posts