Preventing battery post corrosion

Help Support CattleToday:

Grease works. You should also be able to find the spray can anti-corrosive at any auto parts store.

There are two instances Jogee.

One is electrolysis. Two different type of metals usually involving the terminals and connectors. It is not good when current passes through. There is not much you can do other than keep tight connections to slow it down. It is especially bad when you have copper wire, lead terminals, and whatever the battery post is made of. Go all copper any time you can on your leads and terminal clamps.

The other is environmental. You can grease the metal to stop environmental contact with chemicals and air. Petroleum jelly is preferred but any grease or oil will help.

the spray can and the washers come in a kit at any place.walmart or auto arts and it werks pretty well. ive been having good luck with it for yrs

I always use dielectric grease. It's a jelly type grease you put on your terminals that stops corrosion but it's also an awesome conductor of electricity, so you can goop in on as much as you want. Not sure how much they sell for though. Good Luck!!

Use Fluid Film, stuff works the best of anything I have ever used. I service a lot of battery powered equipment with multiple batteries and it is all I use. A long as nothing washes it off i can usually spray them twice a year and they stay clean.

RPFarm":1cv00zk6 said:
I always use dielectric grease. It's a jelly type grease you put on your terminals that stops corrosion but it's also an awesome conductor of electricity, so you can goop in on as much as you want. Not sure how much they sell for though. Good Luck!!
Hey Jo ,
Some interesting stuff to try here . I use grease myself and keep any old dirty used stuff for this in a cup. I use it on tow balls too.
I have noticed that the electrons flow from the negative terminal only and if you just put it on the negative it works well too. Look at a set of terminals that have been left neglected for a while and you will see the corrosion, or actually an acidic salt build up where the terminal corrodes , will be on the negative . This is easily cleaned up by pouring boiling water over it.

I tried that excellent Lanolin grease when it first came out and lo and behold the bloody car would not start . The Lanolin grease insulated it perfectly !

Jogeephus":3n1wluub said:
Other than buying a new truck or equipment, what is the best way to keep this stuff at bay?

Baking soda.
Mix with water and wash, my experience has been good and its pretty cheap.

hrbelgians":2963oyhk said:
Jogeephus":2963oyhk said:
Other than buying a new truck or equipment, what is the best way to keep this stuff at bay?

Baking soda.

That's how I clean mine, but have not found it effective to prevent the return of it. I've begun using the felt washers on the posts. So far so good. The washer packets come with 1 red and 1 green washer. Reckon my battery will blow-up if I get them switched? ;-)

Cowdirt":2rjf5ims said:
hrbelgians":2rjf5ims said:
Jogeephus":2rjf5ims said:

Baking soda.

That's how I clean mine, but have not found it effective to prevent the return of it. I've begun using the felt washers on the posts. So far so good. The washer packets come with 1 red and 1 green washer. Reckon my battery will blow-up if I get them switched? ;-)

That may be true. I had thought it seemed like if I didn't rinse them with pure water after the soda mixture, it would not come back as fast. Just my observation I guess.

Cowdirt":3lm90d1i said:

Yes, they will blow up and you will have the EPA and Haz-Mat teams to come clean up the mess... :lol2:

A lot of people do not realize this but when they remove/intstall a battery they break the seal at the post from torquing the post where it in goes into the case when that happens it will always build up corision. people should grasp the cable and hlep support the battery post when tightening the terminal, if the area is good and clean and dry you can also spary paint the paost and terminal once installed and it will last for almost a year

okbob":30jgujjv said:
A lot of people do not realize this but when they remove/intstall a battery they break the seal at the post from torquing the post where it in goes into the case when that happens it will always build up corision. people should grasp the cable and hlep support the battery post when tightening the terminal, if the area is good and clean and dry you can also spary paint the paost and terminal once installed and it will last for almost a year

That explains a lot. Have had some batteries that rarely ever corrode while others look like a salt mine.

Jogeephus":3e7puyfa said:

Take a quart of two of water, mix in a couple of tablespoons of baking soda, and pour it over your battery terminals.

Baking soda is great but Ive been told to wash it off after cleaning and dry the post then apply some vaseline and that seems good

Latest posts