preventing ants in pumphouse

Help Support CattleToday:

I take it you mean a chemical saturated ear tag ..right?

Not real eco friendly I suppose, but old sump oil with a little creosote mixed in deters spiders ants etc and even rats & mice, just pour it around the shed sides

Stops the rust too

tytower":10mu87ac said:

Not real eco friendly I suppose, but old sump oil with a little creosote mixed in deters spiders ants etc and even rats & mice, just pour it around the shed sides

Stops the rust too
You're not worried after a while it soaks in the ground and gets in your drinking water?

tytower":23g2s0vd said:

Stops the rust too

Where can you buy creosote in QLD now? As far as I know, it was withdrawn from the market, and is now illegal to sell, supply and possess :shock:

marimus-You are not well informed my son.

I noticed that in the fencing post re the "Dividing Fence Act"

Creosote is freely available but it is Creosote extract now and is a purified form and is clear. The old type is no longer available but if you have some you are fully entitled to use it wherever you like.

This type of unsubstantiated statement simply gets good ,useful products tossed out and wasted and in the situation we are now in I am trying hard not to waste anything.

jfont - The little I used around my sheds is placed carefully using a stick to feed the oil ,creosote mix to the tin to run down and leave a continuous line round the bottom of the inside of the shed. It would soak in only to about half an inch and there simply hold the dirt together . Ants and more especially termites here, don't like to pass over it.

Snakes are also deterred if they are not in a hurry.

J.T. I think you mean the dust covers it and if so dead right.

Try horse apples. Seems like they run off evrything else.
My neighbor uses tobacco juice and urine.
That explains what he is doing standing around his yard in the middle of the night. :lol:

We buy D.E. in 50 lb bags from the feed store. I dust all the floors of the sheds, barns and well house. It works great until it gets wet. If someone leaves the door to the well house open and rain gets in, D.E. has to be applied again. Other than that it works great. Stops scorpions too.

backhoeboogie":gt2xxdu5 said:
We buy D.E. in 50 lb bags from the feed store. I dust all the floors of the sheds, barns and well house. It works great until it gets wet. If someone leaves the door to the well house open and rain gets in, D.E. has to be applied again. Other than that it works great. Stops scorpions too.

BHB, what's DE?

Woooh --thats very fine particulate matter. What about the dust ? Anyone got asthma or a breathing complaint yet.

Interestingly I have been experimenting with the stuff since I heard the Chinese have a problem with the Great Wall of China.

The bricks are eroding with the weather - thats right the bricks. The mortar is as sound now as the day it was laid. They looked in the mortar and found a glutinous fine particulate substance.

It was rice flour and it is so fine it binds between the grains of cement and makes it waterproof.

So I tried some rice flour as an additive and it seems to work. It costs a lot that way in 1 lb boxes , so now I am trying diatomaceous earth and it seems to be waterproof too.

I now read they use it as a waterproofing additive in Ferro Cement boats and flyash is also used

ETF":hefun9e1 said:
I'm guessing that's diatomaceous earth.

You are right. Great stuff if you get the right kind. The kind they use in swimming pools doesn't work as well. Get a 50 lb bag of it from the feed store for less than $25. You can also mix it with feed to kill parasites out of your stock.

Ants have their skeleton on the outside of their body. The DE cuts into it and they dehydrate and die. For their size, it is like shards of glass. Stir up a fire ant bed and dump a couple of table spoons on them. It is amazing. It gets into the cracks of their endoskeleton sections and cuts it up. You can eat it yourself with no harm to you. The only thing it harms is critters with an endoskeleton. Ants, Scorpions etc.

Latest posts