Pretty ticked off

Help Support CattleToday:

there is a possibility that the bull himself is a recovered fcs, unlikely perhaps but a possibility and if that were the case then as a homozygote he would be passing this defect on 100% of the time with a 50% chance of getting an affected calf out of a carrier cow.

drdosu2002":5oidv75a said:
So far no Freestate Barbara, but he does have her great grandsire in common, Francis of Wye. Probably a stretch though. Yeah every one of these problems eventually impacts the commercial man. This guy runs commercial angus and is going to try to get me the parentage of some of the heifers having these calves. He estimates that 50% of the calves out of the bull in question are affected.

Might not be such a stretch. :secret:

Red Bull Breeder":lsr4sdsl said:
And what about the other bulls calves Brandon?

Robert could be right and that the bull is homozygous for the gene; but that seems to bizarre to be believable. Not every animal has the same nutritional needs, the same calf livability, or the same disease tolerance.

robert":373iyw5k said:
there is a possibility that the bull himself is a recovered fcs, unlikely perhaps but a possibility and if that were the case then as a homozygote he would be passing this defect on 100% of the time with a 50% chance of getting an affected calf out of a carrier cow.

Still - getting 50% of the calf crop affected would mean 100% of his cows would be carriers. Seems impossibly remote.

angus9259":3uc819ap said:
robert":3uc819ap said:

Still - getting 50% of the calf crop affected would mean 100% of his cows would be carriers. Seems impossibly remote.

Exactly, unless what we are hearing is greatly exaggerated this is not fawn calf.

I sold some older bred cows that still had some calves in them at a bred cow special, they just didn't fit my seedstock operation any longer. My concern was letting the buyers know ahead of time that I wasn't just selling the defect carriers out of a registered herd, that these are all clean pedigrees.

I printed a potential AM NH carrier list with matching tatoo/tag showing they were clean pedegrees, signed and sent it with the cows. I would guess half the buyers either had never heard of arthrogryposis multiplex or were just not concerned about it. By the time they got sorted for age, preg. dates, legible bangs tatoos, they got scattered from he!! to breakfast.

I see the potential for years of AM NH affected genetics working their way thru the comercial cow herds. Without some true, tough leadership from from the AAA directors, and ethical actions by Angus seedstock producers this will be a drag on the angus breed for decades. Continuing to release carrier bulls into the population, no matter what the excuse, will only exacerbate the situation.

At one time Horned Herefords had the U.S. beef herd by the balls. Could history repeat itself? @

Interesting thread here guys .. just wanted to add that I just recieved a note from the CHA stating that ALL cattle who are DNA tested will be automatically tested for genetic defects. (as I read it .. the AHA is already doing so ?). This means that any DNA sent for parantage testing or even those just sent as a profile (sires) will be tested and made public. I think this will really help to clean things up as ALL bulls .. including walking bulls need to have a DNA profile in order to register calves out of them. Puts a guy in a situation where he cannot deny the genetic defects that may be present in a bull ... because if you want to register any calves ... that sire WILL be tested. I guess is doesn't stop a person from selling them as "commercial" bulls .. but maybe it will help clean up some problems ..

Jen

I am thinking about bidding on a Limflex bull tuesday at the Iowa beef expo, sire is mytty in focus, I looked him up on the AAA website and it reads AMF NHF RDF does the F mean that he was tested and free of being a carrier?

haase":2pkphnd1 said:
I am thinking about bidding on a Limflex bull tuesday at the Iowa beef expo, sire is mytty in focus, I looked him up on the AAA website and it reads AMF NHF RDF does the F mean that he was tested and free of being a carrier?

Yes.

Yes, F means tested to be Free of that defect and C means Carrier. A pedigree with neither means it hasn't been tested.

any bulls that have l1 domino 75901 or titan 26d have blood lines that are not all hereford.

Hi sorry i didn't check this yesterday. Found out some more info on the commercial angus man having the calves with inability to nurse and lack of muscling. His son says that 50% was an exaggeration. He estimates maybe 20-25%. The dams of affected calves have so far been sired by one AI sire this guy used heavily. No other producers in our area used this AI sire at the time. Who knows? Coincidence or defect? We'll see.
:???:

drdosu2002":2prsgkbc said:
Hi sorry i didn't check this yesterday. Found out some more info on the commercial angus man having the calves with inability to nurse and lack of muscling. His son says that 50% was an exaggeration. He estimates maybe 20-25%. The dams of affected calves have so far been sired by one AI sire this guy used heavily. No other producers in our area used this AI sire at the time. Who knows? Coincidence or defect? We'll see.
:???:

care to give us the sire of the dams and affected calves? pm me if you don't want to post them on here.

I'd still like ti see some response and verification to these alegations. I am interested.

Latest posts