Pretty Textbook!*PHOTOS ADDED*

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
My Brangus heifer, Jam, finally calved last night. She was in second stage when I got home from work at 5:30PM. Kept an eyeball on her while I fed. then walked over, checked, she had the waterbag starting to show. got in the house at 6:30, ate dinner, went back over at 7:30 and she had just had the little bugger. she was talking to him/her and cleaning him up. seems to have nursed by 8:30PM. IT all went very smooth and textbook!

Checked her this AM. Calf seems fill of vim and vigor..was galumping around, although that hind end had a mind of it's own, kept trying to get ahead of the front end.

Jam hasnt brought the calf up yet, so not sure if we've got a heifer or bull calf, but all in due time and when shes comfortable. most important, she seems to be a VERY good momma and calf seems healthy.

*got photos last night, Jam brought the calf up when I fed her and shes back to her normal chow hound mode. Calf also discovered the electric fence last night. He/She tried to follow one of the cats and ended up touching the wire with his/her nose..ouch! Sorry they are abit dark, I took them off my cell. my boss says it looks like a heifer calf, but I havent seen it urinate yet and it had its tail smack against it's rump last night. Very curious little bugger, think he/she is going to drive poor momma Jam nuts. :)*
View attachment 1

Porter is it's a bull calf(for porterhouse, yum!) and Fergie if its a heifer
Sarah

Its always great to have a heifer calve the first time like that! Looking forward to the pictures.

TexasBred":2pqhxs55 said:
Way to go Sarah. Sounds like Ms. Jam is definitely a keeper. Was she bred to a Brangus bull??

She did good, I was pleased. :) I like those that do it all by themselves. and shes being a good momma, shes bonded with the calf alot.

No, she was bred to a registered Angus bull..think I told you, she was with him for about 12 hours..one hit wonder. :)

That's what we like to hear. 8) You know you have a good started calf when they frisk around. :D

Limomike":2hrht4zo said:
Its always great to have a heifer calve the first time like that! Looking forward to the pictures.

You know Mike, Ive foaled out mares quite afew times, and I read up on malpresentations and potential problems in a calving heifer..I was ready, but hoping it would all go well with no help from me and it sure did. I am pleased and relived that the first one is "over". :)

mnmtranching":cdgx5bq7 said:
That's what we like to hear. 8) You know you have a good started calf when they frisk around. :D

Yes, I was worried about him/her nursing in a timely fashion, but the way he was up and around this AM, Im pretty sure he did..cow's bag looked floppier too.

My son thought him running around was hilarious.

Oh, and my only dissapoint was that she had expeled and taken care of her afterbirth before I could look at it. I was very curious to see one..guess I'll have to live vicariously through photos. :)

spinandslide":27qmiknd said:
Oh, and my only dissapoint was that she had expeled and taken care of her afterbirth before I could look at it. I was very curious to see one..guess I'll have to live vicariously through photos. :)

Good mama she ate it.

thanks all..yep cowman, she did her job and ate it, just was REAL curious to see it, as I know its different then a horse's. As soon as I get photos, I will post them.

On another note, do alot of you see your first time mommas not coming up for feed for a day or two or three? She saw me dump some cubes and alfalfa pellets in her tub yesterday AM, but she did not eat them, as I checked this morning..Im thinking her mind is centered around that calf versus food, but shes normaly a major chow hound. Have seen her eating on her roundbale.

yes she is normal some cows wont leave their calves for a few days.an some cows bring their calves up on day 1.

bigbull338":1w4ayzhf said:
yes she is normal some cows wont leave their calves for a few days.an some cows bring their calves up on day 1.

OK, makes sense..I didnt figure she'd come up with me there like she normaly used too, but thought she might after I left.

Sarah she'll be pretty protective of the baby for a while. Once it starts straying off and running around a bit Jam will come around. Might not be a good thing to get too close to the calf unless you've left yourself "an out". ;-) Have you been able to tell if it's a heifer or bull yet??

TexasBred":hcicvkyy said:
Sarah she'll be pretty protective of the baby for a while. Once it starts straying off and running around a bit Jam will come around. Might not be a good thing to get too close to the calf unless you've left yourself "an out". ;-) Have you been able to tell if it's a heifer or bull yet??

Definantly..Im prepared for protective brangus momma..I have no intention of trying to get close until Jam is comfortable. And Ive warned my neighbor to use care(which he does anyway) if hes got to go into the pasture for some reason. I was just curious as to her change from normal food glutton to doting mother. :mrgreen: My intent was to take my binocculours over yesterday evening, to try and get a closer look, but we got awful rain and hail, I didnt even feed the horses and Jewel til 7:30 when it was finally passed and by then, it was pitch black out. Will try and see if I can see tonight. :)

spinandslide":39qsgav9 said:
thanks all..yep cowman, she did her job and ate it, just was REAL curious to see it, as I know its different then a horse's. As soon as I get photos, I will post them.

On another note, do alot of you see your first time mommas not coming up for feed for a day or two or three? She saw me dump some cubes and alfalfa pellets in her tub yesterday AM, but she did not eat them, as I checked this morning..Im thinking her mind is centered around that calf versus food, but shes normaly a major chow hound. Have seen her eating on her roundbale.

I had a cow calve once. I didnt see her for two weeks. I thought she had laid down and died. Scoured the whole farm for her looked under brush piles, in the ponds etc. I could not find her. I chalked her up as yote bait. About 2 weeks later she shows up to be fed hay and has a big strapping calf with her.

cowman30":3mf44etu said:
spinandslide":3mf44etu said:

I had a cow calve once. I didnt see her for two weeks. I thought she had laid down and died. Scoured the whole farm for her looked under brush piles, in the ponds etc. I could not find her. I chalked her up as yote bait. About 2 weeks later she shows up to be fed hay and has a big strapping calf with her.

LOL, them sneaky ones. Boss told me a similar story about a friend of his cow....she would come up, but no calf..they knew she calved, as her bag was drained..scoured the pasture and found the booger in a small patch of TALL johnson grass. My cow hasnt hid him, shes come up and been fed, so we are getting back to normal..thought it was a heifer calf, as it ran off the other day with its tail up and thought it looked like it..but husband looked at the photos I took and thinks its a bull..dont know.

Latest posts