Pretend I'm a "newbie"

Help Support CattleToday:

I smell a trick. I believe you want us to think it is a different calf. ;-) A before and after, one dolled=up and on before?

Oh, you guys are NO FUN!!! Dolled up - no. But, shaved bald, yes. Well, not quite bald, left little tuff on poll & tailhead.
Mainly, wanted people to realize how POORLY an animal can look if you don't pay attention when you take the pic. I had a hard time getting a poor pic, but it took a LONG time to get the "better" pic. And actually, she isn't standing right. Her close leg is forward (rear legs should be reversed).

This is exactly why I have a hard time understanding how people can make an accurate judgment on cattle strictly from a picture. I am amazed at how many people will purchase semen on a bull that they have never seen, but they like his picture. I find it extremely difficult to tell from a picture how an animal walks (which is extremely important when choosing a herdsire). Even 2 pictures of the same animal in which both are not shaved can give different information regarding conformation. It just depends on how the animal is standing.

Even from just a picture you can usually judge body depth, topline, tail head and feet and to some degree legs, buttm heart girth and high flank.

They "both ;-) " look good. To me, obviously the second picture of her gives her more eye appeal, but you can see all of her good qualities in both pictures. Nice heifer Jeanne!

turning grass into beef":ci4ezi9m said:
This is exactly why I have a hard time understanding how people can make an accurate judgment on cattle strictly from a picture. I am amazed at how many people will purchase semen on a bull that they have never seen, but they like his picture. I find it extremely difficult to tell from a picture how an animal walks (which is extremely important when choosing a herdsire). Even 2 pictures of the same animal in which both are not shaved can give different information regarding conformation. It just depends on how the animal is standing.

Depends on what kind of ground he's walking on sometimes too.

I think it just goes to show the limitations of judging cattle by a photo. If we pretend that they are two different heifers I would pick the first one every time. It isn't a great picture but she shows some depth of rib and fullness of heart; her hook to pin set also looks more ideal. The second pic shows me a heifer lacking depth of rib and a little tight in the heart. I would also like to lower her pin and tail head set. Which is the "real " heifer? I don't know, but I suspect the second one as the picture was taken to show her proper proportions.

Latest posts