Pressure Washer

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I need to buy a new pressure washer. I read Stocker Steve's thread from a couple of years ago (Sorry Nessie, the Hotsy is out of my price range). I would like to keep it under $500. What psi and gpm should I be looking at? It will be mainly for cleaning off farm equipment and for use around the house. I have an old gas one that is on its last legs and an electric one that is very handy, but just not enough pressure.

Recommendations?

I've had a few now over the years and what I figured out for myself is that 2-2.5 GPM and no more than 3000 psi works best for my uses. I've had one that was around 4 GPM and 3600 psi and it would wear you out in no time. It was dangerous if you were on a ladder. The modern axial pumps work well but if you're going to use it a lot, a triplex is worth the money.

I agree with JParrott. I have a 5000 psi and you need to be careful not to wash the paint off. do not know the GPM. I usually run at low engine speed to lower the psi.

hahaha, I got my hotsy for free, it didn't work, supposedly because the fuel pump was dead (a $500 part)... turns out it was the flow detection switch... I bypassed that and it fired right up!

One note when using any pressure washer, don't direct it at any seals as it'll drive moisture through the seal.. things like 4wd locking hub selectors, wheel bearings, etc (ask me how I know :p)
Pressure rating of about 3K is good, you can select how much actual pressure it'll put out with a bigger nozzle in many cases, or a wider spray angle will reduce the paint-peeling effect as well.

In my experience flow is more important than pressure for blowing mud and grass clippings away. High PSI and low flow will just blow the crap around, high flow and high pressure will actually cut it and wash it away.

High pressure is good for cutting grease if that's what you need to do, hot water works even better.

I've got a Northstar with a 13hp Honda and a CAT triplex pump, and a smaller CAT pump rigged on an electric motor. The Northstar works 100 times better for washing equipment.

The Northstar froze a couple years ago, I was able to get parts for the pump pretty easily and get it working again. Makes a big difference when you can buy parts for them.

Recommendation................

Fix the one you have or find one that somebody has discarded for pennies on the dollar and fix. I lost count how many I have that were either freebies or and easy fix.

If plenty of water supply the GPM is a non factor as I like 3+ gpm. On the pressure, the nozzle head has a lot to with that. I have one I think is 2200 psi I use on equipment, with the right nozzle will do damage to certain parts of equipment. For equipment you don't need crazy high pressure.

For cleaning equipment a Steam Jenny is best as it will cut the crud.

Last edited:
I need to buy a new pressure washer. I read Stocker Steve's thread from a couple of years ago (Sorry Nessie, the Hotsy is out of my price range). I would like to keep it under $500. What psi and gpm should I be looking at? It will be mainly for cleaning off farm equipment and for use around the house. I have an old gas one that is on its last legs and an electric one that is very handy, but just not enough pressure.

Recommendations?
I got a Champion 4000 psi 6 years ago and it's been the best. And we had many.

Recommendations?
We got a Champion 4000 psi pressure washer 6 years ago and it has been the best and we have had many.

sstterry, if you had of posted this around last October I could have told you about all you would ever want to know about pressure washers. Brands, sizes, prices etc...,

Around that time I had a house that i was saleing with alot of concrete patios, side walks, block foundation that had really turned black. Not to mention other areas that needed to be pressure washed. Under the eves all kinds of places needed washed. I ended up renting one for the weekend. Depending on how often and how much you will use one. I don't know at what renting might be a good option.

I had used alot of big commerical type pressure washers on jobs that I had worked at over the years. Mobile units with like 500 gal units.

I am like you, I need one to use more for washing my hay balers, tractors, shop buildings than anything. One company I worked for would let employees use a small pressure washer that was designed more for pressure washing small shop buildings and lawn mowers etc..., that done a good job on washing stuff. But it didn't hold up for very long. And it wasn't by no means cheap. Cost around $ 800. Problem was it was designed for smaller jobs and was only good for so many hours before it wore out. Kind of like tires on an automobile. You can only get so many miles out of a set of new tires.

That's the same with pressure washers. I would highly recommend reading and researching all the different types of pressure washers before buying one. Read all the reviews you can find about the ones your interested in.

I got a brand new one that I just uncrated Sunday that I am going to the Honda dealership in the morning to buy the oil that is recommended for it. They ship them without oil.

There are some set ups I would recommend staying away from. One is the direct coupled pump to engine, another is the gear coupled. And the pumps themselfs and the engines. Even the hose itself.

I done alot of research on the things and ended up paying alot more than i wanted to ( around $ 2,800 and it on sale at that price) for an industrial grade pressure washer.

It is a North Star but before i bought it. I gave some very serious thought about just renting a pressure washer from a rental store.

The only reason i went a head and bought one was because it seems like whenever I need to rent a peace of equipment either it is already rented out or I have to get on a waiting list. Which wouldn't be that big of a deal if it wasn't for me working a full time job outside of trying to farm too.

But at $ 500 I don't think you will get the hours out of it that you might need over a period of a couple of years.

I think I ended up with the belt driven tri plex pump. I think the pump was a Cat brand, Honda engine.

What is wrong with direct coupled pump designs ?
The pump is going to run twice the rpms a belt drive runs reducing the life of the pressure washer.

Pump on a belt drive washer has gear reduction and extends the life of the pump and engine verses a direct drive.

Be sort of like running a tractor pulling a peace of equipment without a clutch or transmission to shift gears. And only control it with the fuel throttle.

Be pretty hard on the old tractor starting it in gear to begin with. Not to mention how hard it would be on it to just be able to throttle it up or down to adjust for the load your pulling. But if you have a transmission to shift gears that makes it alot better on the tractor. The tractor is going to have a longer life and have alot less breakdowns.

Same way with a belt driven pressure washer verse a direct driven pressure washer.

It being direct coupled to the engine it's going to have higher operating temperatures on the internals of the pump and engine both plus more vibration on the engine and pump.

Depending on how you look at it. A belt driven pump pressure washer is going to cost more when you buy it verses a direct coupled pump pressure washer.

But that Belt coupled washers is going to last longer with less break downs than the direct coupled washer.

I guess how much your going use one would determine on what would work best for the buyer.

It's been a while since I researched washers but it seems like there are some other advantages belt drive has over direct drive ?

Latest posts