President Sold Out

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
We met at 5 PM yesterday for cattle board meeting. There was only 3 of us, the Extension Agent and Treasurer. The President of the board was not there. The Extension agent called him. He Said he was about 30 minutes away. Said: go on with out me but We waited. When he got there, he seemed to be unmotivated. Said: he wanted to resign if there was a replacement. For several reasons, the three of the members present declined.

He said he was rolling hay. His roller broke down for the fourth time this season. Said he got so mad, he was on the edge of beating it with a hammer. Went in the house, told his wife he has never been so mad and for what - he makes no money doing it!

She said if it is that bad, why not quit. He did!!!

Sold everything but the land, one tractor and a bushhog.

Bright Raven":3t2b0t7l said:
He said he was rolling hay. His roller broke down for the fourth time this season. Said he got so mad, he was on the edge of beating it with a hammer. Went in the house, told his wife he has never been so mad and for what - he makes no money doing it!
Couldn't have been to mad then!

If I had a dime for every time I got mad and bloodied my knuckles on a broke down piece of equipment I'd be a rich man!

ez14.":3vnc5885 said:
Bright Raven":3vnc5885 said:
Couldn't have been to mad then!

If I had a dime for every time I got mad and bloodied my knuckles on a broke down piece of equipment I'd be a rich man!

I was caught by surprise. He is a rational easy going man. Does a tremendous amount of leg work at all the county functions. Teaches ag in an adjoining county. 49 years old, loves the county. He will be hard to replace and no one wants that job.

Worst part is when you get tired of old equipment letting you down. So you go spend a pile of money on something new and it breaks down..........at least with the old equipment you had a good chance of being able to fix it.

callmefence":9cx2i6ho said:
Worst part is when you get tired of old equipment letting you down. So you go spend a pile of money on something new and it breaks down..........at least with the old equipment you had a good chance of being able to fix it.

From hence forward, I am buying my hay. Just what you said - the guy I bought this year's hay from was cussing like a sailor the day I took the check to him. His new roller broke down and he had to haul it to the dealer to get it fixed. They didn't have the shaft. So much on this new equipment is Chinese metal that is not made well. This guy is a gentleman. It was embarrassing the way he was cussing. Lol

callmefence":1qznvlv4 said:
+10000000000000

I say that everyday as new is not always better and anymore very few things new is better.

I broke 2 header bars this past weekend, broke a yoke on my tedder and had some hay get rained on. Its Tuesday and its still setting in the field because its been flooding the last 2 afternoons. None of that compares to my day job and the frustrations and nonsense I deal with on a daily basis here. Making hay is the most stressful and enjoyable part of what I do. people that cant handle it have never really had to deal with real world problems . Saying he is an ag teacher explains it . he's got that cushy state job and real work caused him to break .

Was he mad about not making any money baling hay or not making money in the cattle biz in general? Only way to make money on hay is to do it efficiently and in heavy volume or need 800-1000 rolls yourself and sell the extra to help make equipment payments. I never have understood how folks think they can buy hay equipment and make or save any money baling 500 rolls a year.

Lucky":3pypsf4i said:
Was he mad about not making any money baling hay or not making money in the cattle biz in general? Only way to make money on hay is to do it efficiently and in heavy volume or need 800-1000 rolls yourself and sell the extra to help make equipment payments. I never have understood how folks think they can buy hay equipment and make or save any money baling 500 rolls a year.

Not making money on cattle. He has 3 kids.
I guess the kids were not as interested as he hoped they would be. He had a herd of about 30 Simmental/Simangus cows. His bull was a Rocking P bull. The bull got crippled about a year ago. That was a big loss. He sold some seedstock.

I reckon we all feel like throwin in the towel some days, when I start feelin like that seems there's a second wind of optimism, insanity, or stubbornness that kicks in and I keep at it.

I know the feeling of frustration. I have a 10' hydraulic brush hog that got into some 12 ga high tensile wire last year. It is completely wrapped around both spindles underneath. I have tried and tired to figure a way to get access to fix it, but there is just no way. I am now going to have to have someone pick it up and take it to their shop so it can be put on a lift to get it fixed. I have fought with the darn thing for two weeks and I am now just frustrated that I am going to have to spend all that money to fix it!

sstterry":25sfyfsc said:
I know the feeling of frustration. I have a 10' hydraulic brush hog that got into some 12 ga high tensile wire last year. It is completely wrapped around both spindles underneath. I have tried and tired to figure a way to get access to fix it, but there is just no way. I am now going to have to have someone pick it up and take it to their shop so it can be put on a lift to get it fixed. I have fought with the darn thing for two weeks and I am now just frustrated that I am going to have to spend all that money to fix it!

If you don't have al front loader I would think a come a long, a chain, and a tree limb would pick the front high enough to cut it out.

Bright Raven":nc3hteo5 said:
Lucky":nc3hteo5 said:

I guess the kids were not as interested as he hoped they would be. He had a herd of about 30 Simmental/Simangus cows. His bull was a Rocking P bull. The bull got crippled about a year ago. That was a big loss. He sold some seedstock.

We've talked about this allot. Cattle is a rough game. I've had good and bad years just like everyone else. Sometimes I feel like opening the gates and going home. I'm in a little to deep to quit now. 30 cows is enough to make a few dollars on but definitely not enough to worry about hay equipment. What's he feed 90 bales a year max?

Lucky":2ixcoxyw said:
Bright Raven":2ixcoxyw said:
Lucky":2ixcoxyw said:

We've talked about this allot. Cattle is a rough game. I've had good and bad years just like everyone else. Sometimes I feel like opening the gates and going home. I'm in a little to deep to quit now. 30 cows is enough to make a few dollars on but definitely not enough to worry about hay equipment. What's he feed 90 bales a year max?

He has a relative who also runs about 12 cows there. Those cows are still there but not his to manage. I am not sure how much hay they put up. But I would guess about 150 rolls/bales. It surprised everyone on the board because he was our leading advocate for farming. Someone thought it was a marital issue but he quickly dismissed that. I think he just decided to enjoy life more.

Lucky":1g5crtvw said:
sstterry":1g5crtvw said:

If you don't have al front loader I would think a come a long, a chain, and a tree limb would pick the front high enough to cut it out.
I have a front end loader, but there is no way I am working on something that big simply relying on hydraulics. A man close to here was killed because the did that.

sstterry":1a2i4ezk said:
Lucky":1a2i4ezk said:
sstterry":1a2i4ezk said:

I have a front end loader, but there is no way I am working on something that big simply relying on hydraulics. A man close to here was killed because the did that.

I get under mine by lifting it and laying up locust sawed blocks as cribbing. No way it can come down. You don't need to take it in.

sstterry":ix1rwi64 said:
I can relate to that, l mowed over an old bed spring mattress. I just lifted it up and blocked it then took a torch to it.

I use locust blocks my friend sawed with his portable mill. Looks just like this:

10coh7m.jpg

Latest posts