Preserving Eggs

Help Support CattleToday:

Is this because your hens are producing more than needed, or prepping for bad things to come, or is there another reason?
Little of both. No since wasting them and I like to keep up some old ways.
They have to be unwashed eggs! The pickling lime preserves the bloom on the egg blocking any bacteria from entering.
As a child my grandma's smoke house was better than a grocery store.
It had selves of canned vegetables, eggs along with perseveres and jelly.
The hams would be hanging with green mold on them and the sausage in curns covered in hog lard.

What sort of lime and what concentration CB/

Ken
Pickling lime two tablespoons to the quart is my recipe
Stir in warm water to almost a and cool to room temperature.

Is this because your hens are producing more than needed, or prepping for bad things to come, or is there another reason?
If you have very many chickens, you'll always have excess in good weather and be shorter supply in the winter here. Your hens may lay better in the deep south through the winter though.

I keep 12-15 and get enough for my family and the friend who preserves them. I'm short on heated storage or I would do it too.

This is a good idea. We keep chickens, and sell eggs when we can. The first winter they lay through decent, then the second winter they molt and take off completely or slow down significantly laying from around November-February.
I like to raise a few pullets every year to have eggs during that time.
With a light in the coop they say they will lay on through, but I don't have any artificial lighting or heating in the coop and don't really want it, just for safety it's too much risk of fire.

Latest posts