Preppers

Help Support CattleToday:

Chevy

Reaction score
I keeping seeing all these get ready stuff stockpiling... preppers....ect. what are ya'lls thoughts?! Do ya'll have a stockpile? If so what is in your pile?! I watch some of these YouTube videos get annoyed pretty quickly.... these people stockpiling stuff that need microwave, refrigerator, freezer.... my thoughts are if something happened power going out so all that stockpiling electric would be a waste. Yes, generators but how long, long term can a person afford to run a generator. Do people realize if something major happens there won't be any fast food, most likely gas, power, ect. Most people around here thought during an ice storm we had they were going to die if they couldn't get on Facebook. Nothing was opened, most didn't have powers, little food, and they worried about Facebook. My main concern is if it come to surviving how many people can help theirself if need be. Not sit around with their fingers up their butts waiting for the government to save them?

TV shows on preppers go back a dozen years.
Goofballs spending so much time and energy worrying about things that never happened, they estranged their families and never allowed themselves and theirs to live a happy life... just living in fear.

They go back to the '50s building bomb shelters to huddle in fear of missile attacks, pathetic.

I remember during the Y2K, world is going to shut down scare, some companies were selling warm clothing. Living in a concrete shelter for survival they offered top or bottoms of sweat suit. I always thought if I was going to buy one or the other, I'd better buy both!

I think you should have some ammo, canned goods and grain alcohol on hand.

I think you should have a plan if you lose electricity for a couple days. More in Texas...

I don't focus on Facebook since I have a dog friend.

A key difference for us is having several gravity fed fuel tanks to draw on. Wholesale gasoline future dropped 29 cents today so we probably will top off in December. Pretty basic. Here the most likely event is a multiday blizzard. Nothing to lose sleep over.

I think some things are good to have on hand .food , a way to cook with no electricity wood stove or at least wood and enough of the very basic pans , Dutch ovens ect to be able to provide for your family.
More then once in my life I have been dang glad I had extra food on hand had extra money in the bank . Many of us have a day job , in addition to ranching . How long could we survive if we where injured and couldn't work your day job for 3-6 months?
I guess I am saying I think it is a good thing to be able to be self sufficient for a few months at least if something where to happen such as a injury etc

Power is not a problem Shell. I live off the grid now with solar and batteries and a wind generator. While I do sometimes have to run the generator when we get a run of overcast days but generally my house would be no different to yours as far as appliances goes, haven't got the kids though. I like the bit of isolation I have, has been handy avoiding the higher risk of covid just doing what I normally do.

Ken

Power is not a problem Shell. I live off the grid now with solar and batteries and a wind generator.... I like the bit of isolation I have
So not an invitation to come visit Ken? :)
I spent 6 weeks on vacation between Australia and New Zealand and highly recommend if anyone gets the chance, Too old now to enjoy it again as much as I did, so travel while you're young and healthy enough to enjoy it.

I think some things are good to have on hand .food , a way to cook with no electricity wood stove or at least wood and enough of the very basic pans , Dutch ovens ect to be able to provide for your family.
More then once in my life I have been dang glad I had extra food on hand had extra money in the bank . Many of us have a day job , in addition to ranching . How long could we survive if we where injured and couldn't work your day job for 3-6 months?
I guess I am saying I think it is a good thing to be able to be self sufficient for a few months at least if something where to happen such as a injury etc
Do to a particular health reason I haven't worked for 11 weeks (hope to be back in a month). We have been cleaning out the freezer and eating our reserves. It's worked out well so far, luckily we're a low budget operation.

I remember 2000 going to be the end of the world. I stay up all night waiting, watching.... nothing happened. Ya'll have very good points.
Power is not a problem Shell. I live off the grid now with solar and batteries and a wind generator. While I do sometimes have to run the generator when we get a run of overcast days but generally my house would be no different to yours as far as appliances goes, haven't got the kids though. I like the bit of isolation I have, has been handy avoiding the higher risk of covid just doing what I normally do.

Ken

Thats cool... guess I see off grid like the mountain man without contact to many people living on his own.... now really having internet and phone. 😆🤣 Or Amish. Hey new age off grid I get it. Your living it up in style. How healthy do you think solar is long term for your health? 🤨😬 Do Google that... I'm sure electric is just as bad. We all have risks with everything. Even in our drinking water....if you want over research that is scary. Where does your water come from?

I spent 6 weeks on vacation between Australia and New Zealand and highly recommend if anyone gets the chance, Too old now to enjoy it again as much as I did, so travel while you're young and healthy enough to enjoy it.

What happen in Australia and New Zealand?? Are you sure they don't greet by kissing on the lips??

I remember 2000 going to be the end of the world. I stay up all night waiting, watching.... nothing happened. Ya'll have very good points.

Thats cool... guess I see off grid like the mountain man without contact to many people living on his own.... now really having internet and phone. 😆🤣 Or Amish. Hey new age off grid I get it. Your living it up in style. How healthy do you think solar is long term for your health? 🤨😬 Do Google that... I'm sure electric is just as bad. We all have risks with everything. Even in our drinking water....if you want over research that is scary. Where does your water come from?

Usually comes from the effluent of the sewer plant up river!

We are far from full blown preppers. But we have considered things. Our water comes from a spring. Nothing upstream of the spring but some deer and cows. There is a pump and pressure tank under the house. But gravity would get water running in the house. Just not as much pressure. We heat with wood and just last week the wife cooked a roast on the wood stove. But while cutting wood this year we discussed how hard it would be without chain saw, hydraulic splitter, and quads to haul it. The wife cans fruit, veggies, and meat. We did stock up canning lids when we found a bunch of them. We already had plenty of canning jars. I do have 67 acres of irrigation that is flood irrigated. No power required for that. I could grow a lot of what ever is needed. Things here haven't changed that much since the irrigation rights were first established in 1873. Jar lids, matches, ammo, seeds, and enough fuel for the transition. What else does a person need?

We are far from full blown preppers. But we have considered things. Our water comes from a spring. Nothing upstream of the spring but some deer and cows. There is a pump and pressure tank under the house. But gravity would get water running in the house. Just not as much pressure. We heat with wood and just last week the wife cooked a roast on the wood stove. But while cutting wood this year we discussed how hard it would be without chain saw, hydraulic splitter, and quads to haul it. The wife cans fruit, veggies, and meat. We did stock up canning lids when we found a bunch of them. We already had plenty of canning jars. I do have 67 acres of irrigation that is flood irrigated. No power required for that. I could grow a lot of what ever is needed. Things here haven't changed that much since the irrigation rights were first established in 1873. Jar lids, matches, ammo, seeds, and enough fuel for the transition. What else does a person need?
You ever watch that Mountain men on Netflix.... that Eustace Conway and Preston Roberts do alot of stuff the old fashion way. I don't really watch it... my husband does. I'll listen to it and look some.

If any of you did travel to Australia you would be most welcome to drop in.

Ken

Our water comes from a bore (underground, well) only down about 20 metres but our sandy soil filters it well it is very pure, better than stored rainwater. We had it tested last year at peak of the drought and it was virtually like distilled water just the ph slightly low.
No concerns with health from solar.
Our main health concerns is from kissing people Shell, are you coming to visit?
Ken