Preping the boat

Help Support CattleToday:

jfont

Reaction score
Just went run my boat yesterday, a few things to tinker with and I'll be ready in a few weeks to go fishing for some redfish, and blue crabs!!!!

jfont":347srqit said:
Just went run my boat yesterday, a few things to tinker with and I'll be ready in a few weeks to go fishing for some redfish, and blue crabs!!!!

Boat stays ready 365/24/7 if I have one vice in life it is speckled trout. I am hung up on chasing the big ones I had rather fish all day for a couple of good ones than have an icebox of little ones.
I just can't get the eleven pounder for the wall.

Caustic,

We had a guide a couple summers ago out of Grand Isle that tried to sell us on a "trophy trout" trip.
Of course, we had to go on a special trip to catch "trophy trout"- for some reason we could not catch them on the guided trip we were already on.
Anyway, is fishing for big specs different than fishing for the regular sized specs?
Never caught any bigger than a few pounds- but I would like to.

jfont":1r3tptys said:
Jogeephus":1r3tptys said:
What's your limit on reds?
La limit is 5 reds per person daily, minimum of 16", only one exceeding 27". NONE in federal waters.

When you say none in federal waters, does this mean there is no limit or that you can catch none? I've often been confused about the federal laws as we have possession limits as well and you can't get to the hill from federal waters without going through state waters. Sorry to be so ignorant but am interested. My last fishing trip in Florida waters cost me a fortune due to my ignorance to the ever changing regulations. :oops:

Sugarman":17rwka3x said:
Caustic,

We had a guide a couple summers ago out of Grand Isle that tried to sell us on a "trophy trout" trip.
Of course, we had to go on a special trip to catch "trophy trout"- for some reason we could not catch them on the guided trip we were already on.
Anyway, is fishing for big specs different than fishing for the regular sized specs?

I used to fish the big tournaments in the Galveston Bay System, mainly Trinty Bay. Big Trout are not going to run in schools like the smaller 5 pound range fish. I have worked some of my favorite shorelines all day for 2 or 3 fish. Best stringer I ever won a tournament with was six fish max 10 of on weigh in, that stringer weighed 36 pounds. I have one ten pounder on the wall 31" long I have never been able to bust the ten.They like to feed in swallow water with deep water close by . One of my best spots has a barge channel about a 100 yards from the shoreline water is two to three feet deep with oyster reefs everywhere. My favorite lures was a 7" Redfin and a 7M Mirrolure.

Jogeephus":3e7oupry said:
jfont":3e7oupry said:
Jogeephus":3e7oupry said:
What's your limit on reds?
La limit is 5 reds per person daily, minimum of 16", only one exceeding 27". NONE in federal waters.

When you say none in federal waters, does this mean there is no limit or that you can catch none? I've often been confused about the federal laws as we have possession limits as well and you can't get to the hill from federal waters without going through state waters. Sorry to be so ignorant but am interested. My last fishing trip in Florida waters cost me a fortune due to my ignorance to the ever changing regulations. :oops:
It's illegal to catch them in fed. waters. In La you have to be careful because the state water boundry isn't always three miles offshore. Some places it comes in a little closer. The bad thing with regulations is sometimes they change from place to place. I have crab baskets that are legal in one refuge, but too big for another.

[

Boat stays ready 365/24/7 if I have one vice in life it is speckled trout. I am hung up on chasing the big ones I had rather fish all day for a couple of good ones than have an icebox of little ones.
I just can't get the eleven pounder for the wall.[/quote] I'd been running mine every two weeks in the yard with the mouse ears, just hadn't taken it out on the lake since november.

My boat stay ready 24/7 also. I fish out of it, Coon hunt out of it, Deer hunt out of it, even camped out in it a couple of times. It never gets to cold, ( got propane heaters) but It does get to windy. G3 1966. 19ft long 66inches wide in the bottom, center console.

I've been finishing the inside of my outdoor kitchen this winter; didn't even buy a hunting lisense. Just one of those projects I put off for too long and decided to bite the bullet and finish it. Now I'll be able to play and not feel guilty!

Caustic Burno":1qsbejrj said:
Sugarman":1qsbejrj said:
Caustic,

I used to fish the big tournaments in the Galveston Bay System, mainly Trinty Bay. Big Trout are not going to run in schools like the smaller 5 pound range fish. I have worked some of my favorite shorelines all day for 2 or 3 fish. Best stringer I ever won a tournament with was six fish max 10 of on weigh in, that stringer weighed 36 pounds. I have one ten pounder on the wall 31" long I have never been able to bust the ten.They like to feed in swallow water with deep water close by . One of my best spots has a barge channel about a 100 yards from the shoreline water is two to three feet deep with oyster reefs everywhere. My favorite lures was a 7" Redfin and a 7M Mirrolure.

Sounds like u must be crazy like me....Everyone sorta looks at u crazy like when its cold but clear and you say your going wadefishing. The north shoreline of East Bay has been good lately, and you dont have to take the boat, you can go through the national park, rite up to the water... at Windmill Point

houstoncutter":1hudyhhw said:
Caustic Burno":1hudyhhw said:
Sugarman":1hudyhhw said:
Caustic,

Sounds like u must be crazy like me....Everyone sorta looks at u crazy like when its cold but clear and you say your going wadefishing. The north shoreline of East Bay has been good lately, and you dont have to take the boat, you can go through the national park, rite up to the water... at Windmill Point

I always liked Smith Point along the cedars, Seabrook flats always paid big dividends as well.
Fished a 17' Whaler for years went to a Carolina Skiff that thing will drift in 4" of water.
When the Robison power plant was operating Dickinson Bay was awesome in the winter the hot water discharge came out in Baycliff and the suction in Dickinson, the bay temp would be several degrees warmer.