Preparing salmon

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I have never had salmon. What is a really really simple way to prepare it. I want be doing in grilling to late spring.

Bigfoot":2v4t10ji said:
I have never had salmon. What is a really really simple way to prepare it. I want be doing in grilling to late spring.

What kind of Salmon? Or do you know?

Fix it the same as carp. Stuff it with horse manure and nail it to a hickory plank.........................

Supposed to use wild salmon. I bet I can't find it in our grocery stores. I will use the other if I can't. It's probably a fad, but I've been reading a lot about anti inflammatory diets. I'm quiting drinking everything but water. I've done that before. I always fall off the wagon. I have a little arthritis in my hands, and shoulders. If you follow the diet it is supposed to help. I'm not expecting big things. I am going to give it a few weeks.

The only thing that worked for my arhtritis was the liquid glucosamine/condrotin (sp) stuff. Took it for a year and haven;t needed it now for 2 years.

King mackerel is supposed to be good for the joints also. I drink the same stuff as Dun did every morning mine except mine has vitamins A and C added also.

I like cold smoked salmon that has been cured in salt and spices. Its very good. Cooking it at higher heat changes the meat texture - which is still good but not as good.

One thing you can do that is really easy is to take some cream cheese and take some of your extra salmon you've prepared and mix the salmon with the cream cheese and add a little liquid smoke to taste. This is a great dip and makes for good sandwiches too.

Don't know if you want to bother with the cold smoking but if you do I'll give you some tips if you wish.

Jogeephus":3dn0abid said:
I like cold smoked salmon that has been cured in salt and spices. Its very good. Cooking it at higher heat changes the meat texture - which is still good but not as good.

One thing you can do that is really easy is to take some cream cheese and take some of your extra salmon you've prepared and mix the salmon with the cream cheese and add a little liquid smoke to taste. This is a great dip and makes for good sandwiches too.

Don't know if you want to bother with the cold smoking but if you do I'll give you some tips if you wish.
Smoked is the only way that it's fit to eat. When we were in washington I smoked tons of the stuff. I bartered it for all sorts of stuff.

I've never been able to get the hang of salmon in any form but I have had alot of arthritis relief from bee stings. The liquid fish oil capsules are suposed to help quite a bit as well but I'm not there yet.

Mine has started to burn quit a bit. Stopping the diet drinks, and switching to water seems to help a lot. I just can't stick with it.

There are five different kinds of Pacific salmon. I have ate all three, too many times. I grew up on salmon for dinner 4 or 5 times a week. They are called by different names at times, so there are Sockeye or Reds, Silvers or Coho, Chinook or King, Pink or Humpback, and Chum or Dog salmon. The sockeye are the best eating of the salmon. Silvers and kings are about the same for quality and depend highly on which sub group they come from, where they were caught, and how they were handled. I have eaten dogs and humpies in the past but not unless I am real hungry will I eat them in the future. They are passable as a smoked salmon.

About the only way I will eat them anymore is BBQ'ed. A fillet of a fresh salt water caught red, silver, or king. Wrapped in tinfoil with lots of butter, some mayo, and a little lemon. Place on the BBQ until the meat flakes easily with a fork.

I have eaten it fried, baked, BBQ'ed, canned, smoked, creamed salmon on toast, salmon loaf, spiced up with every imaginable spice ..... more ways than I can think of or care to remember. I can remember Mom telling us to eat it because it is "brain food". Didn't work well on me but it did on one of my sisters.

dun":2y3pmcdp said:
Fix it the same as carp. Stuff it with horse manure and nail it to a hickory plank.........................

Bite your tounge, were's are your Washington roots?

Love salmon, use filets when possible far less bones or no bones if filet right. Steaks are a bone free for all. If you grill a filet leave the skin on and only flip once, the meat flakes easy. One of my favorite ways to cook is wrapped in a tight tin foil bubble, with onions, butter, seasoned with salt and pepper, some garlic (minced or powder) and of course lemon slices. In the oven or grill for about 20 minutes, depending on how you like it cooked at 350. Lemon/lemon juice always go well with salmon. Serve with baby red or gold potatoes sauté in butter and seasoned with basil, salt a pepper to taste.

Dave I remember fishing for chum in the 80's when it looked like you could walk across the river on their backs. I always thought they were good if they were bright, they just got dark so fast...... Those were the days, they are gone now.

Alan":2yoa79ku said:
dun":2yoa79ku said:

Bite your tounge, were's are your Washington roots?
That was the problem, too much salmon and trout and not enough good eating fish, like bass, bluegill, yellow perch, etc.

I'm with you on that Dun. We grew up Catholic in Colorado with a Dad that fished. A lot!. I was so sick of Trout by the age of 10 i couldn't gag one down. Catch and release isn't an ethic for me. It's a pleasure!

Olive oil both sides, salt & pepper flesh side. Put skin side up on the grill until the meat releases itself from the grate (~8 minutes). Turn over to skin side and grill until done. Usually serve with a rice mixture that includes wild rice.

It's been in the fridge most of this week. I'm assuming it would have been better fresh. The skin is very unappetizing looking. I guess it would be a mistake to fillet it even further.

Latest posts