Preparing neighbours field for grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

canoetrpr

Reaction score
My neighbour and I have struck up a deal whereby I am doing some tractor work for her (spreading manure, bush-hogging) and I get to use one of her fields as pasture- about 6 acres or so. It used to be a hay field which they did not cut last year. It has always raised really nice hay.

Spring is here early and I would appreciate your know how on helping me getting this field ready for rotational grazing.

The field is fenced in page wire. The field is right adjacent to my fence which has a hot wire for easy access. Along two sides of the field, the fencing is quite good and relatively clear of vegetation so it is not hard to run a hot wire along the perimeter.

One of the other sides has spots where the fence has either been cut out for a bit or has fallen in and needs some reasonable amount of repair in some parts. It is still there in most places. The other is better. However, both these sides are along forest and a quite a bit of forest has starting coming through the fence and if I run a hot wire through it is going to be touching vegetation quite a bit.

I'd like to set things up quickly and somewhat cheaply without too much effort or expense so that I can safely pasture my cattle there. I thought running a hot wire along the either fence would be ideal so that the cattle stay away from it and I have places to hook into to sub-divide into paddocks. Unfortunately the two forested sides are really going to take a lot of time to clear up if I want the wire not to be touching too much vegetation.

Any suggestions on how best to secure the two sides where the fence is either down or or weak? One thought I had was along those two side to just run a new fence line a foot or so in from the old with T posts or new cedar posts and one or two strands of hot wire. Alternatively, I can run it with temporary turbo wire that I roll up every year and with either step in posts or some T posts.

Don't get me wrong here. I knew that I would be staying in the field for even a few years, I'd go through the expense of replacing the entire fence lines but our arrangement might only last a year so I would like to be practical about it.

I would appreciate your thoughts

You gotta brush hog, cut, burn or what ever it takes to make a hotwire work on those ends. then split it up accordingly . if it's a long strip you can start at one end with a hot wire across and keep movin it as they chew the grass down. Then put one behind them to give that grass time to recoop.

it depends on the type of cattle you are putting in there. if they are docile and used to electric your t-post and 2 hot wires would probably work. if they are of the wilder type, you might want to pass on the opportunity.