Preparing for Show Ring

Help Support CattleToday:

SHWCALF25

Reaction score
I have been preparing my calf for our first show in the next couple weeks. He's finally comfortable with me walking him and if someone approches him from the front he is fine and calm but if anyone is in the back or even 10-15 feet away he takes off with me. He is still young about 10 months old. He could also be in the chute and someone is approaching me and he jumps in the chute. I need tips or tricks to handle this habit as with all the people there I don't want to be unsafe taking him out near or even in the show ring. Thank you!!!

Do you tie him with his head up for a few hours a day? When he's tied, go about your daily routine, muck his stall, get his feed ready, just be active around him doing different task. Hang some ribbons or flag up high so they move and wave ,Just make sure he can't get to them.
Are you rinsing and blowing him out? this help them get used to being handled and approached from all different angles.
If it is more a temperament thing, try giving him some melatonin to take the edge off, about 20 to 30 mg a day and see if that do not help.