Preparing for calving.

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
This will be my first season for calving. What do you do with your heifers/cows before calving? They are currently on pasture, with access to loose minerals. I see lots of nutrient drenches that day to administer pre and post calving. Does anyone administer any sort of supps close to calving and or after calving? These are beef cattle too, angus and Hereford.

I used to vaccinate prior to calving with Scour Bos but haven't done that in years - all calves now get a First Defense bolus at birth. Cows/heifers shouldn't need additional supplements as long as they are in good condition, have access to minerals and quality forage (or hay in the winter months). That said, my heifers are separate from the cows until after they calve, just to make sure they get proper/extra nutrition (and don't get bumped from the bunks or at the bales).

depending on how big your pasture is, you will want to have them someplace where you can keep a close eye on them during the calfing period. I usually bring my cows/heifers in three weeks before the calving season starts. have an area designated that has the facilities to catch and hold them in case problems pop up, not that they ever do, but you should be prepared. good luck with your first season.

Thanks to all! I know we live in a selenium deficient area. I'll ask my vet about BoSe and Multimin. I have heard of both but never used either. Might be a good thing to administer to fresh calves.

Latest posts