Preparing for a sales & marketing contest this weekend

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
I'm preparing my spiel for a sales & marketing contest this weekend at the Northeast Livestock Expo. Basically I just take a picture of one of my animals and get 5 minutes to "sell" it to the judges. I already know what I like about my animal, and I would like to hear some other opinions as well as I get ready to gather my ideas. Here is the pic I am using:

UMaine Petunia, 8 year old registered Angus.

Broody type cow. Looks like she has a lot of depth and muscle. Maybe to go with her type and kind, she has a little shoulder and front end. But a functional type female.

iowahawkeyes":2ryktbt2 said:
Don't say "um" or "uhh", that drives me crazy.

Sorry love moo this is off topic but, iowa I was wandering was that your post to "2 Steers and a Heifer.. PICS" or one of you kids ?

hillsdown":2umw08f5 said:
iowahawkeyes":2umw08f5 said:
Don't say "um" or "uhh", that drives me crazy.

Sorry love moo this is off topic but, iowa I was wandering was that your post to "2 Steers and a Heifer.. PICS" or one of you kids ?

Yeah, it's mine. Not the best grammar, but that happens occasionally.

Know your EPD's and point out your cow's strong points. Offer to deliver the cow. Make sure you close the deal before time elaspes. Use good eye contact and answer all questions honestly. Ask the judges about their herds and needs. Try to tailor your sales pitch to meet their needs. PRACTICE at home! Have your parents pretend to be judges and ask you questions about the cow.

The main thing is letting the judges KNOW how she will benifit their program. Along with EPD's know her pedigree and what is benificial about those things. If it is an all breeds contest, let them know what is benificial about your breed. Do not use the term "I think" any more than you have to. Be confident about what you are selling. A couple things you could say is that she is a very productive cow. If so you can say that she has had 6 calves all within 365 days of each other. Maybe what the average weaning weight of her calves is. That she has delivered all of her calves unassited. Gentle easy to work with.... Also tell them how many of her daughters that you have kept as replacements. Thats all I got for now. Good luck

Latest posts