Preparing for a Birthing Issue

Help Support CattleToday:

jungledave

Reaction score
Greetings,
I am a cattle farmer in the Southeast jungles of Ecuador, where I am working with Charolais and Angus breeds using A.I.
A 20 month charolais heifer of mine aborted at 8 months, i left her empty for 6 months, and inseminated her with Ibob (e.g. at 34 months of age), from Genes Diffusion, a bull with a calving ease score of 95.
I am concerned that she will have problems birthing, and have 5 months to prepare for the worse. I have never had any calving issues with any animals, this will potentially be my first.
Any advice, recommendations, or comments to set my mind at ease would be greatly appreciated.
Jungle Dave

Dont feed her too much, have a set of pullers handy, number of a good vet handy, and when the time comes dont bother her unless you have to

If she aborted at eight months I'd be alot more concerned about her doing it again than I would delivering the calf. She's old enough that she's as ready for a calf as she's going to get.

watch her closely and be ready to assist if she needs it. Its better to be there and help early than be too late and the calf be dead.
I calve all my heifers through the barn and I have very good luck. If I have to pull one I put the heifer in the headchute and attach chains and pull with a well anchored come-along. It sounds like it would be hard on the heifer, but if she is having trouble getting the calf out of her asap is very important. Be careful not to break the calf's legs.

Latest posts