Premises Identification thoughts

Help Support CattleToday:

Wow... Personally, I would hide every firearm I had and lie through my teeth if someone came looking, but fair enough..

cmjust0":24y7gcqk said:
Some may call me a conspiracy theorist, but if they were talking about mandatory registration of all firearms, I've got a feeling that many of you guys would be throwing an absolute fit right now.. How is it that it's no big deal when it's your FARM?!!?
You're talking about two different things. The only possible reason to register firearms is so that they would know where they're located. For future confiscation? Hopefully not, but always possible. Looking at what has happened in other countries with firearms registration tells us that.

The government already knows where the farms/ranches are located, though. They're already on the tax rolls. Aerial photos at the FSA office. If they want to confiscate your farm, they'll get it, anyway.

But rapid traceback/traceforward efforts in the event of a disease outbreak like FMD is about national security, whether you want to admit it or not. And for those of us in the cattle business, it's about all of our financial securities. Our livelihoods. You want to talk about losing the farm? Look at what has happened in other countries with FMD oubreaks that didn't have those rapid tracing capabilities.

If you want to disagree with M-ID on the grounds that OT and some others do because of the unknowns and the costs, that's one thing. But don't compare it to registering guns. That's ridiculous.

I think all the reasons the Feds are giving us are valid. I do not oppose that. I also believe what they are not telling us is that they need a way to track this nations beef supply should it become infected by some terrorist act.

Johnny":24hknth1 said:
Oldtimer,I just happen to be in the poultry business. I have 8 broiler houses with a one time capacity of 200,000 chicks. The business has been good to me. It pays for my land , house and trucks. It supplies all my fertilizer so I can stay in the cattle business. As far as cost it won't cost me 20 dollars to implement under my system. That was why I said that the pipeline need to be shortened. If your system work in your area then work to get it approved in your area. I our part of the country very few calve ever go anywher as a group. Its all groups of 1 with extensive comingling. EID is the only thing we feel will work in Southeast.

Johnny

Johnny- If you believe the design of the Corporate owned chicken and hog farming is the best answer for the cattle industry I guess you and I will never be on the same page- in fact we aren't even reading the same book!!!

If corporate owned vertically integrated sharecrop ranching becomes the only way to remain profitable in the cattle industry we may have won the profit battle, but have lost the war, as we are not only dealing with the economic situation, but a way of life which would be a disaster to lose for our future generations sake......

Oldtimer. I never said that integration was the future of the cattle business. The cattle business is too capital intensive for one company to own it all the way from cow calf to harvest. But there must be more cooperation from top to bottom if we are to remain a viable industry in th US. Everybody wants to do their own thing their own way. In every other business in the world you have to produce a product that your customer wants or you don't stay in business. Why can't cattle producers understand that we can't keep producing what we want to raise and expect everybody to buy it. I agree that is a great way of life, thats the reason I do it. But I still need to make a profit. I don't think it is unreasonable to make changes to my breed selection or calving season if doing so helps me meet the demand of my customer and improves my profit. Thats not vertical integration it is cooperation between partners. Everyone thinks that poultry farmers hate their integrators but for every one sour apple there are a hundred that are happy and making a good living.

Johnny

Latest posts