Premature

Help Support CattleToday:

dbirdsong

Reaction score
I have a nine year old cow that started losing weight a few months ago. She looks sickly and alway seems to be drooling. A couple nights ago she had a premature calf. I'm not sure how early it is but it weighed 29 pounds. Any ideas what is going on?

My first guess is hardware. I've had 2 preemies/subsequent orphans whose mama's died of hardware. Sickly & drooling. I'm assuming she's losing condition? Swollen brisket? Does she keep her head somewhat elevated when she's laying down? Any other symptoms? BTW temp is generally around normal with hardware. I'd suggest giving her a magnet.

She does. I had thought of that bet was sure what the symptoms of hardware are. The calf is a fighter for sure.

dbirdsong":3635t1rc said:
I guess the magnet didn't work for your cows?
No, it was too late. That was years ago & since then every cow, bull & replacement heifer now has a magnet. BUT that's still no guarantee because "hardware" can also be caused by glass, a sharp rock, a number of objects & while rare it is possible for the magnet to pass. I lost a great cow earlier this year to hardware, even though I had given her a magnet years ago. Gave her another one as a futile attempt in case the initial one passed. Didn't work.

Good luck with the calf! Those little preemies can surprise you. My first one is due in March with her 7th calf & the second one with her 4th.

If she has diarrhea she may have johne's. Hardware or a blockage are also good guesses. Also check her mouth for a growth. Lumpy jaw or woody tongue causes drooling and won't let them eat but with woody tongue, her tongue would be sticking out of her mouth.
I had one like that years ago that had a big cancerous growth in her mouth that blocked her throat. It was not noticeable except when you looked in her mouth. Either way. I would ship her at the first opportunity. She will be a downer sooner or later. I would bet she is not putting out much milk anyway.

Latest posts