Premature calving....

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
Have a cow that was AI bred - due 12/9/2009. Since last Thursday she has had a clear mucusy discharge (spread across her behind w/ tail). On Saturday, she had about a 18" piece of mucus hanging down with something in it possibly manure (maybe the mucus plug?). Also, she has made a bag and periodically has milk dripping from teats. Last night checked her, she was laying down and her vulva has started to swell a little and was open. There was a pretty steady stream of clear liquid draining from it. Checked her this morning and still in same shape. No apparent contractions and still hangin out w/ rest of herd. She does not seem to be in any stress, grazing and chewing cud... One other thing, last year when she was a heifer, we had to pull her calf and it was dead on arrival. She bred back, but this concerns me.. Any comments, suggestions?

Thanks.

{edit length of mucus :mrgreen: )

Normally the sticky mucus is a precalving deal. The thin watery stuff is usually the lubricant for calving.
I would glove up and reach in and check things out.

I'd say if she had a foot out then there is something seriously wrong. you better get the vet cuz the calf is probably already dead. good luck

DavisBeefmasters":2d7koyzn said:
dun":2d7koyzn said:
I would glove up and reach in and check things out.

:nod:
sure don't sound good does it!? If it was a foot and nothing has happened gonna end up with a very sick cow real quick, I would probably call my vet if it were me....

snickers":304qs5vs said:
I'd say if she had a foot out then there is something seriously wrong. you better get the vet cuz the calf is probably already dead. good luck

I read it that way the first time also, but "....she had a foot & a half piece of mucus hanging down...." I don't think there was a calf's foot, just a lot of mucus.

whitecow":35q210fo said:
snickers":35q210fo said:

I read it that way the first time also, but "....she had a foot & a half piece of mucus hanging down...." I don't think there was a calf's foot, just a lot of mucus.
That's how I read it also

yeah after rereading it I apparently did read it wrong otherwise there wouldn't even be a question if a foot was sticking out. duh lol that's how my monday is going.

Sorry guys!! How about 18 inches of mucus :lol2: I didn't even think about that when I was typing. No, there is no sign of movement of the calf, heck she's not even showing any signs of labor. Other than the discharge and the fluid last night, there would be no clues that something is up.

I might as well stick my arm in the ground - I wouldn't know what it should or shouldn't feel like. Talked to the guy that did the AI (he's ran a local ranch most of his life), asked him about whether or not we should take a look, and he said with her not having any contractions or showing any stress, there was really nothing we could do. I was just looking for some other opinions. For now, I guess I'll just keep a close eye on her. I'm hoping this afternoon they'll be a little calf STANDING beside her!!

Thanks for the input..

Sounds like just a normal thing that can happen just before calving. I've seen it before too. If you are worried glove up and go in rectually. You should feel the calf just past the pelvic bone. I've felt the calves feet right there too. Now don't go pushing around real hard but you can give the calf a gentle push and see if it responds. Now if it doesn't it could be sleeping or just not interested in moving at that time, so don't worry.

snickers":23sho9xc said:
yeah after rereading it I apparently did read it wrong otherwise there wouldn't even be a question if a foot was sticking out. duh lol that's how my monday is going.
oh good lord, duh...sorry blonde roots acting up again...I read it wrong too...foot hanging out.... :oops:

CKC1586":2j6puyhn said:
snickers":2j6puyhn said:
oh good lord, duh...sorry blonde roots acting up again...I read it wrong too...foot hanging out.... :oops:
It was they half a foot that gave it away

Arkieman":14cx3zc5 said:
Have a cow that was AI bred - due 12/9/2009. Since last Thursday she has had a clear mucusy discharge (spread across her behind w/ tail). On Saturday, she had about a 18" piece of mucus hanging down with something in it possibly manure (maybe the mucus plug?). Also, she has made a bag and periodically has milk dripping from teats. Last night checked her, she was laying down and her vulva has started to swell a little and was open. There was a pretty steady stream of clear liquid draining from it. Checked her this morning and still in same shape. No apparent contractions and still hangin out w/ rest of herd. She does not seem to be in any stress, grazing and chewing cud... One other thing, last year when she was a heifer, we had to pull her calf and it was dead on arrival. She bred back, but this concerns me.. Any comments, suggestions?

Thanks.

This is pretty darn early....I had one come 27 days early this spring and I lost the calf, she was just too tiny, couldn't get a tube in her, should have had a premie tube or lamb thingy or something that may have worked...you know the ol woulda, coulda, shouldas.....hopefully your girl will make it closer to that December due date!

dun":32lx6e1b said:
CKC1586":32lx6e1b said:
snickers":32lx6e1b said:
:oops: :oops: okay, keep rubbing it in.... :oops: :oops:

Every once in a while I just get the urge to poke a stick in it and stir the pot.

CKC1586":huuxm5i4 said:
dun wrote:
CKC1586 wrote:
snickers wrote:
oh good lord, duh...sorry blonde roots acting up again...I read it wrong too...foot hanging out....
okay, keep rubbing it in....
Don't worry CKC,in SA we write the date the other way around as 12/09/2009 (the month in the middle)so the first time i read it i thought 'OMG :shock: this poor bloody cow should have calved ages ago,whats with this premature business' :lol: :lol:
dun":huuxm5i4 said:
Every once in a while I just get the urge to poke a stick in it and stir the pot.
I have noticed,have had a couple of good chuckles-except the stick sometimes becomes a big spoon. :D

Arkieman":1pitni4d said:

Thanks.

Mucous(sp?) discharges can happen anywhere from a month or so prior to calving right up to calving. As long as she is chewing her cud, on feed, not in distress, is not agitated, restless, kicking/licking/looking at her stomach, laying down/getting up, or having contractions, I wouldn't worry about it.

msscamp":2mmcc75n said:
Arkieman":2mmcc75n said:

Thanks.

Mucous(sp?) discharges can happen anywhere from a month or so prior to calving right up to calving. As long as she is chewing her cud, on feed, not in distress, is not agitated, restless, kicking/licking/looking at her stomach, laying down/getting up, or having contractions, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm gonna go with this. She seems fine, only time will tell! We've got a little over a month to go to find out.... She'll probably end up being late!!!

Thanks for all the input, I'll keep this post updated on any changes.

Had AI guy out yesterday to preg ck some cows to set up to AI. Asked him to check our girl out. He said she's still full of calf. We got 23 days til due date!

Latest posts