Premature calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

BAGTIC

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of a cow having calves only seven months apart. The first was normal size. The second was/is very small (prematurity?) but very healthy and active. Not at all sickly or weak.

BAGTIC":f850jayt said:
Has anyone ever heard of a cow having calves only seven months apart. The first was normal size. The second was/is very small (prematurity?) but very healthy and active. Not at all sickly or weak.

Since the normal gestation period for a cow is 9 months and a few days, a cow does not come back into heat until anywhere between 21-30 some odd days following calving, and usually does not settle on the first heat following calving, that would mean this calf is roughly 3 to 4 months premature. If this calf was 3-4 months premature, he would not have hair down to his hooves, his lungs would probably not be fully developed, and his nervous system would not be fully developed, either. He definitely would not be 'very healthy and active'. I'm thinking you might want to recheck your breeding records, and the probability of another bull getting into your herd since what your proposing is extremely unlikely.

If the calf were 3 months premature, he wouldn't be healthy and active, and most likely wouldn't live long. I've seen calves aborted at 6 months and they're about the size of a small dog, skin pigmentation is there but little to no hair, legs too short in proportion to the body to be of any use, etc, etc.

I have seen the occasional, well-managed cow breed back a week after calving, which could mean calves 9 1/2 months apart. Check your records... if the calf is alive and healthy he may be a few weeks premature, but IMO not 2 months premature.

It's much more likely that the calf is from a different cow who abandoned him, and he's just decided this other cow is his mother.

We had a cow abort 7 weeks early and ther hair was about like poker table felt.

dun

hi, it's a bit late after the fact being Sunday and this was posted Friday but a piece of advice our vet gave us when we thought we had a premie was:
If it has teeth it can be within the three weeks to actual birth date of birth.
If it has no teeth it can be three weeks or upwards in being premature.