premature calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

TK

Reaction score
One of our 4 yr. old Herefords just had her 3rd calf today and was at least 3 weeks early. Calf was dead but looked fully formed and had all the normal hair. I don't know what to look for to see if it was premature but it's 4 lower teeth were definitely showing and were loose. Does this sound like a deformity of some sort? I did several searches but have been unable to find a description of this. Sure hope this isn't a sign of the calving season ahead.

Have you done any drastic changes to you feed program or pastures in the last few weeks?

Did you see the calf being born? Did maybe the mom or another step on it and that be the reason that the teeth were loose?

i think loose teeth may be sort of normal with premature calves..depending on how premature it is. alot of the final touches are going on in the last trimester...especially in the head area

I see I left out a few details. Yes, we were there for the birth from the time the water sack started showing. We were not expecting a calf this early so we walked the cow into a portable shed and bedded it down. The calf started showing only it's head so we found the feet and helped out. We tried bringing the calf back but never saw any sign of life. We first turned the bull in with the cows on July 2 so according to my chart this calf was at minimum 3 weeks early if bred on the first day. I didn't weigh this calf but I would guess around 50 lbs. Hooves were soft and yellow-green. The umbilical cord was severed close to the body which seems a little unusual. The 4 lower teeth were protruding about 1/2" from gumline and really loose as if the jaw was not developed properly. If this is one of the last things the solidify, then maybe we are just looking at a premie due to rough bumping or something as opposed to a disease being the cause . Nothing has changed for these cows. Same hay, location, no recent work like vaccinations. We did worm with pellets about a month ago but it was approved for pregnant cows. It would be interesting to see the progression of calf development if anyone knows a site that has that information. Watching the rest of the herd, hopefully this won't be repeated. I appreciate you all taking time to answer questions on things that seem old hat to everyone else but I am still a newbie this being my third calving season just starting. Hope everyone is enjoying this spring day!

I am thinking that the premature/loose teeth are not related. I had one born a couple weeks ago, had a HUGE head, would not stand real well, like he was dizzy and weak. (never did really get up, and died after 4 days.) His teeth were loose also. At first I thought I bumped one too hard with the tube feeder, but all of them were loose. Usually my calves that are early are just small, but have teeth, and decent hair coats. It would be interesting to know at what stages things develop within the cow. All my searching on the internet has not given me the answers I want either. Good luck with the rest of your calving!

could be looking at a late term abortion here ("severed umbilical cord").

Just curious, do these cows get enough calcium and phosphorus? what kind of mineral program are they on?