premature birth?

Help Support CattleToday:

Annie

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 4 yr old black angus cow that was AI'd on 4-9-06. This morning about 2 hrs ago we found her in the field with her tail up, she appears to be in labor. She will lay down and you can see the sack, it looks good and has clear fluid in it. We brought her in and she isnt doing much. She has a little clear discharge but not much. I called my vet and she said (through the recepionist) to just watch her for the the next few days!!!! I cant believe she said this and I am not sure at this point what to do! Help!

If you're sure you saw the sack, I would sleeve up and reach in and see what's going on. Is the vet a large animal vet or a pooch vet? When you moved her you may and probably did mess up her calving process. I agree with keeping an eye on her, but first I'ld reach in and see what's going on. Is there a possibility that she was bred before the AI date?

dun

Call your vet back and ask her specifically what you need to watch for. I hate that "Just watch her," business. Heck I hate it when a doctor tells my daughter to "just watch" one of the kids...and at least with a kid you can get some sort of reaction, speech, hands on stuff. Not so with an animal.

Tell your vet "specifics, I need specifics!"

Then go to the internet and do a search on what to watch for...'cause if the vet is that cavalier, I don't know that you'll get much response anyway.

Alice

No, she is a large animal vet, and the info I got was second hand. She said something about possibley being a prolapse? I dont know. I dont want to sound stupid but I have never had serious problems calving before but should I check rectally for a live calf or vaginally. I hate to introduce bactiria, it is a wet muddy mess today!
There is no way she was bred earlier than the AI date! If this was 3 or 4 weeks from now and she was doing what she is doing now I would be just watching her.

Annie":3cskj57m said:
but should I check rectally for a live calf or vaginally.

Im sorry, but that is just 2 funny.

PS: "Vaginally"

I hate to introduce bactiria, it is a wet muddy mess today!

Thats good thinking, but just sanatize and be concious of what you are doing. I think I would do some quick reasearch first so you know what you are feeling for and how things should be.

Edit: I just tried to find somethign for you, but I couldnt find anything with pictures or diagrams that wasnt talking about Blue Whales. Imagine that!

Latest posts