Pregnant?

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
How do I tell if my heifer is pregnant? Oooi know I should know but I am still learning. I tried to post pic but no luck yet. She is beginning to bag & stomach looks low.

If she's bagging up she should definitely be bred. With heifers it's hard to tell how close she is to calving just by looking. It could be anywhere from tomorrow to three months. When a mature cow bags up she's usually pretty close, but with heifers you never know.

I agree w/Rafter. Watch her closely. Is she at all dilated or swollen? You'll usually see mucus (we call them stringers) either hanging or smeared on her hips/rump. Tail to the side or whipping around. With heifers, the teats don't usually fill up as much - they may still look a little wrinkly when she calves. Keep an eye out for changes in behavior; more alert, looking for a place to calve, etc.

She has been with the bull for over 6 months now. The bull is just over 2/years old, she is almost 3 years old. About 3 months ago he was trying to mount her but she would not stand still. That's what makes me think she is because she hasn't come back in again. Mo

If you don;t have anyone that can palpate to establish pregnancy, one of the blood tests might be a good idea.

Latest posts