Pregnant yearling heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't mind them being protective of their calf like that and I try to heed their warnings when dealing with a newborn calf however I agree with your decision, once you lose confidence in them it is best they go. They are still a good cow though and should fit in well elsewhere.

Ken

@Katpau the one I wrote about is on my list for this fall as well. The drought is making the decision for me. Otherwise I just leave her be for a few and catch and tag hers in a pen. I don't know what her replacement will do when the time comes tho. That always bothers me. 😆

It is very nice to have animals you can work with tho, I certainly agree!!

You've given me incentive to consider selling the one that chased me around the truck this year too.

And here I thought I was out of cullable offenses.....

View attachment 20537
Here is #1820 at 4 years. We will be weaning her 4th calf in a few days, and then I am afraid her time with us will come to an end. She learned that she was bigger and stronger than me this Spring and now she will have to go. She has raised 4 calves, including the one we pulled out of her when she was not quite 13 months old. That one we helped at first. We were a bit rough pulling that one, since we assumed it was dead and wanted to get it out of the cow right away. The calf took a few days to stand, but she recovered and was raised on the cow out with the rest of the herd. I liked this cow so much, I had decided to AI her and keep a replacement from her. That plan changed in February.

Apparently she did not appreciate our saving her life as much as I had hoped. We were checking for new calves when we found her standing on a small cow trail on the side of a steep hill with her newborn. It was an awkward spot to get to with little room to stand. I made the decision to stay holding on to the calf while my husband climbed back uphill to the ATV for iodine, eartag and the scale. She had always been standoffish and a little afraid of us, but she is a good Mom and refused to move back away from the calf in spite of my offering a flake of alfalfa I had carried with me. We were entirely too close and she kept bobbing her head at me. Finally she got her nerve up and picked me up with her head and tossed me down the hill. Now she knows I'm afraid and that she has the power. I am too old for this, so she will have to go. I often walk right through the middle of the herd checking numbers and looking at eyes for signs of pinkeye. I don't want to always be looking out for her. I can't say she has ever come at anyone, but I feel like she looks at me with an arrogance now that says "I got your number you big chicken". Whenever I accidentally walk up close and make eye contact, she will give a little head nod. I immediately look away and walk off trying to make it look like I never intended to go right past her, but she knows I'm afraid. I can almost hear her saying "Yeah, I didn't think so".

Anyone interested in a Registered Angus cow bred for late February-March real cheap? :)
Personally, I'd keep her until she became a financial liability. I don't trust my cows no matter how docile they seem, so she's just another one I don't trust.
But I certainly understand if you aren't comfortable. Your own criteria are not mine, and yours are what's important in your own herd.
I've sent plenty of cows to take the long walk due to their attitudes.

View attachment 20537
Here is #1820 at 4 years. We will be weaning her 4th calf in a few days, and then I am afraid her time with us will come to an end. She learned that she was bigger and stronger than me this Spring and now she will have to go. She has raised 4 calves, including the one we pulled out of her when she was not quite 13 months old. That one we helped at first. We were a bit rough pulling that one, since we assumed it was dead and wanted to get it out of the cow right away. The calf took a few days to stand, but she recovered and was raised on the cow out with the rest of the herd. I liked this cow so much, I had decided to AI her and keep a replacement from her. That plan changed in February.

Apparently she did not appreciate our saving her life as much as I had hoped. We were checking for new calves when we found her standing on a small cow trail on the side of a steep hill with her newborn. It was an awkward spot to get to with little room to stand. I made the decision to stay holding on to the calf while my husband climbed back uphill to the ATV for iodine, eartag and the scale. She had always been standoffish and a little afraid of us, but she is a good Mom and refused to move back away from the calf in spite of my offering a flake of alfalfa I had carried with me. We were entirely too close and she kept bobbing her head at me. Finally she got her nerve up and picked me up with her head and tossed me down the hill. Now she knows I'm afraid and that she has the power. I am too old for this, so she will have to go. I often walk right through the middle of the herd checking numbers and looking at eyes for signs of pinkeye. I don't want to always be looking out for her. I can't say she has ever come at anyone, but I feel like she looks at me with an arrogance now that says "I got your number you big chicken". Whenever I accidentally walk up close and make eye contact, she will give a little head nod. I immediately look away and walk off trying to make it look like I never intended to go right past her, but she knows I'm afraid. I can almost hear her saying "Yeah, I didn't think so".

Anyone interested in a Registered Angus cow bred for late February-March real cheap? :)
Angus can be too good a mona cow those first few days. so how cheap is cheap?

View attachment 20537

How cheap is real cheap? 😊

She will go with the open cows to the sale barn. I just checked the prices at the two closest sale barns, and it looks like prices are pretty good right now. Last time I weighed her was in April and she weighed 1300 pounds, so I'm hoping for $1200. If someone wanted to give her a chance, I'd happily sell and transfer the papers for that. She is bred to a a registered Angus bull. I definitely would not mess with her calf unless there is a good fence between you and her.

I think she is more fearful than mean actually. After she knocked me down, she could have easily come after me and done some real damage, but once she had me away from the calf, she just stayed right by it. The calf still had a rope halter on it and that was kind of tangled in the brush, so he couldn't run off with her. When my husband showed up I told him to stay away, but he went in and grabbed the rope. He got it untangled, but then the calf managed to get it out of his hands. He tried to get in front of the cow so she wouldn't try running off with it. She shoved right past him and the two took off. We finally caught up with them about a half mile away. The calf had the rope lead tangled in the brush again, so my husband took the calf hook that we use to catch a hind leg, and he used it to snag and remove the rope. The cow was really agitated by then and neither of us had the guts to go in closer.

That calf was less than 12 hours old when we first saw it, but he was really a wild little bugger which was what started the whole thing. He started fighting the rope I had on him and he pulled me right up close to her face before falling down. She threatened, but there was no where for me to go unless I dropped the rope and I knew my husband would be really irritated if I let them get away, so I tried to back her off by yelling at her which was a mistake. That is when she picked me up and tossed me. Some poor decisions on my part, but now she knows her power.

She will go with the open cows to the sale barn. I just checked the prices at the two closest sale barns, and it looks like prices are pretty good right now. Last time I weighed her was in April and she weighed 1300 pounds, so I'm hoping for $1200. If someone wanted to give her a chance, I'd happily sell and transfer the papers for that. She is bred to a a registered Angus bull. I definitely would not mess with her calf unless there is a good fence between you and her.

I think she is more fearful than mean actually. After she knocked me down, she could have easily come after me and done some real damage, but once she had me away from the calf, she just stayed right by it. The calf still had a rope halter on it and that was kind of tangled in the brush, so he couldn't run off with her. When my husband showed up I told him to stay away, but he went in and grabbed the rope. He got it untangled, but then the calf managed to get it out of his hands. He tried to get in front of the cow so she wouldn't try running off with it. She shoved right past him and the two took off. We finally caught up with them about a half mile away. The calf had the rope lead tangled in the brush again, so my husband took the calf hook that we use to catch a hind leg, and he used it to snag and remove the rope. The cow was really agitated by then and neither of us had the guts to go in closer.

That calf was less than 12 hours old when we first saw it, but he was really a wild little bugger which was what started the whole thing. He started fighting the rope I had on him and he pulled me right up close to her face before falling down. She threatened, but there was no where for me to go unless I dropped the rope and I knew my husband would be really irritated if I let them get away, so I tried to back her off by yelling at her which was a mistake. That is when she picked me up and tossed me. Some poor decisions on my part, but now she knows her power.
Wow she sounds like a smart cow but maybe a little too smart for her own good. I'm sure you can get that if not more from the auction, especially if she's bred. And she's got the looks too! It's too bad I'm 8 hours away. If the price of fuel wasn't like it is, I might consider it. I barley go out to the grocery store because of fuel 😅

if we cannot comfortably tag a newborn, the cow goes on the must cull list. No two strikes for that kind.

Had a heifer come out of the AI chute this summer and swerve to bump me. I got the message, and she got a trailer ride to the feedlot.

Life is too short.

Latest posts