Pregnant Wedding

Help Support CattleToday:

Just out of curiosity, what are some characteristics that you value in people? What kind of lifestyle would you consider a good role model?

I have tried to live by these:
1 Peter 3:7 ESV
Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

1 Timothy 3:2 ESV
Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

Ephesians 5:25-30 ESV
Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, ...

Ephesians 6:4 ESV
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

herofan":1qdrjvnd said:
I probably need a psychology forum where topics like this can be discussed in length. I love discussing what makes people tick; it's always been an interest of mine. I could probably come up with a topic every day.

I liked the retirement thread too, but I guess yaking about ones theory of retirement wasn't the purpose of the thread.

I think this thread does show how our culture is changing all around. I've been on other forums who are mostly city slickers, and I've come to expect anything from them. If there is place where old fashioned values still existed, I would think it would be on a forum of farmers, but I see that sometimes that is not always the
case with everyone.
How people define "Farmer" is changing. I think it would be surprising if you broke down how many on Cattle Today are dependent on farming/ ranching as their significant or sole source of income. It would also be interesting how may are 1st generation in this business. I only say this to highlight that many people are out in the world on a daily basis and most likely affects one's perspective. I suspect there are also a number of people in retirement that have gotten into the business. For me I wouldn't trade putting in a day of back breaking work, with the cows looking at me, feeding, calving, working cattle, everything for a high paying job that required a suit. Finding a heifer calving and pulling the calf with a piece of baler twine thinking I am going to cut my fingers off is a memory I cherish. This is a great life if you look you can see the hand of God every day in what we do while feeding the world.

red angus 2010":xvejf13d said:
Just out of curiosity, what are some characteristics that you value in people? What kind of lifestyle would you consider a good role model?

Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, ...

Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

I appreciate you giving it another try.

You certainly listed some good ones, and I certainly can't argue with any of them. I believe in them quite strongly myself.

herofan":1jq5vnzy said:
red angus 2010":1jq5vnzy said:

You certainly listed some good ones, and I certainly can't argue with any of them. I believe in them quite strongly myself.
You got a different poster than me this time, just fyi. My list was full of what anyone would consider "old-fashioned" values of hard work, thankfulness, love of your neighbor, self reliance and respect, but a bit (!) lighter on the whole "women are the weaker sex" thing, for sure!

boondocks":223yqbbz said:
"women are the weaker sex"
Women are the weaker sex...after all women are inherently slower, weaker, smaller, shorter and have less endurance than men in general. This is fact, we are made up differently :p :p

boondocks":3egulhaz said:
herofan":3egulhaz said:
red angus 2010":3egulhaz said:

You got a different poster than me this time, just fyi. My list was full of what anyone would consider "old-fashioned" values of hard work, thankfulness, love of your neighbor, self reliance and respect, but a bit (!) lighter on the whole "women are the weaker sex" thing, for sure!

Oops, apparently I wasn't too alert when I looked at that post. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

alisonb":12hygsbo said:
boondocks":12hygsbo said:
"women are the weaker sex"
Women are the weaker sex...after all women are inherently slower, weaker, smaller, shorter and have less endurance than men in general. This is fact, we are made up differently :p :p
I don't want this thread to go poof so will just say I disagree quite strongly that either gender is weaker than the other. Each has certain strengths the other doesn't have (and there are many variations within the genders of course).

M-5":3ei4l099 said:
You have to throw the sissys out and the butchs out . Women are physically weaker than men its been that way since Eve was made from Adams rib .

Mine may be weaker but she's tougher, has more energy and patience to get the job done. We are blessed M5, can you imagine having a sissy for a wife?

True Grit Farms":3um8jr4h said:
M-5":3um8jr4h said:
You have to throw the sissys out and the butchs out . Women are physically weaker than men its been that way since Eve was made from Adams rib .

Mine may be weaker but she's tougher, has more energy and patience to get the job done. We are blessed M5, can you imagine having a sissy for a wife?

Very true TG ,

True Grit Farms":3amo8kal said:
M-5":3amo8kal said:

I guess that's what I'm objecting to. The narrow definition of weakness. Your wife sounds like someone who does not fit my definition of weak!

Boondocks, I was merely referring to physical attributes as you will notice...and having a little fun ;-) :p

alisonb":1e2ijucw said:
Boondocks, I was merely referring to physical attributes as you will notice...and having a little fun ;-) :p

It's the definition of "weak" as solely relating to physical attributes that is problematic. (And even that ignores the fact that there are, of course, some women who are stronger and/or faster and/or taller than some men. Certainly many women have high endurance). As for height, why does shorter mean weaker? Certainly not for horse jockeys, chimney sweeps, etc.
To me, it's tautological to define weakness with reference to (purportedly) male traits; then use that definition to say that women are "weaker." Both genders have their strengths; I have no problem with that. I just have a problem with blanket statements that women are "the weaker sex." I had a farmwoman grandmother who as a young mother buried 2 babies; survived multiple car wrecks (none her fault) including one where she was hit by a semi; severe pancreatitis (non-drinker); TIA's and stroke; heart attacks; quintuple bypass; broken hip and hip replacement; multiple broken bones and shoulder issues; shingles; chronic bronchitis; glaucoma; ovarian cancer..and many I'm sure I'm forgetting. Colon cancer finally got her at age 89, but not w/o a fight. We honestly had begun to think she was immortal. Oh, and she ran her own business until her late-80's. If you'd told her she was weak, you might have regretted it.

boondocks":12hrlc9t said:
It's the definition of "weak" as solely relating to physical attributes that is problematic.
Not if the writer is specifically referring to 'weak' in a physical sense.

alisonb":12hrlc9t said:
Women are the weaker sex...after all women are inherently slower, weaker, smaller, shorter and have less endurance than men in general.
Women are the weaker sex physically Boondocks, you are again missing a point...I said "in general".

boondocks":2l2z1cl3 said:
alisonb":2l2z1cl3 said:

It's the definition of "weak" as solely relating to physical attributes that is problematic. (And even that ignores the fact that there are, of course, some women who are stronger and/or faster and/or taller than some men. Certainly many women have high endurance). As for height, why does shorter mean weaker? Certainly not for horse jockeys, chimney sweeps, etc.
To me, it's tautological to define weakness with reference to (purportedly) male traits; then use that definition to say that women are "weaker." Both genders have their strengths; I have no problem with that. I just have a problem with blanket statements that women are "the weaker sex." I had a farmwoman grandmother who as a young mother buried 2 babies; survived multiple car wrecks (none her fault) including one where she was hit by a semi; severe pancreatitis (non-drinker); TIA's and stroke; heart attacks; quintuple bypass; broken hip and hip replacement; multiple broken bones and shoulder issues; shingles; chronic bronchitis; glaucoma; ovarian cancer..and many I'm sure I'm forgetting. Colon cancer finally got her at age 89, but not w/o a fight. We honestly had begun to think she was immortal. Oh, and she ran her own business until her late-80's. If you'd told her she was weak, you might have regretted it.
Come on Boonie get off the whole women BS.....you know dam well all that he meant was 99.99% of the time the man would beat the woman arm wrestling. I had a grandmother that lived to be 100 and was mean as a snake and like a wasp but one good crack to the jaw would have turned out her lights and she even knew that and accepted it. That 99.99% also love women beyond measure so get over it.

TexasBred":3v7llynh said:
boondocks":3v7llynh said:
alisonb":3v7llynh said:

Come on Boonie get off the whole women BS.....you know dam well all that he meant was 99.99% of the time the man would beat the woman arm wrestling. I had a grandmother that lived to be 100 and was mean as a snake and like a wasp but one good crack to the jaw would have turned out her lights and she even knew that and accepted it. That 99.99% also love women beyond measure so get over it.

Prolly was protesting and wear a vagina hat a few months ago for something they have already. Not one thing lately has been done to oppress women except other women.

I'm not responding to M-5 as I don't launch personal attacks nor respond to them.
To others, I would point out that the "original" poster (Peter!) referred to "showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel." This is a broad blanket statement as to women's supposed "weakness." A vessel is something that breaks easily (think pottery, china, etc). It is not simply referring to certain aspects of physical strength.
There are also significant historical differences in how we view women's physical strength (or lack thereof) by class and by race. Only upper class white women were thought to be "weak" and in need of protection. (Think Victorian fainting chaises). Working class white women and black women were expected to, and did, and do, work at hard physical labor, without anyone fussing over their purported delicacy.
Please understand: I'm not suggesting one shouldn't "honor" anyone. Honor whoever you like! What I AM saying is that we need to understand that calling women "weak" has been used historically in ways that are not at all always "honoring" of them. (One might fairly ask: why do you need to see the other person as weaker than you, in order to treat them well?).

Latest posts