pregnant horse

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos D.

Reaction score
well turns out my abrab mare is pregnant (the trollop)--we had her with other horse and a gelding that we thought was cut proud.the funny thing is I had taken her to 3 different studs over the years and nothing happened --my horses stay out side all winter and manitoba( canada) is no place to have a colt born outside anyway Ill put her in the barn at night my question to all you gurus is how can tell how close she is----she pees a lot but not much at a time --seems to poop a lot but not much each time-- bagging up pretty good too

thanx
carl

Hi Carl,

About a week or so before she foals, the muscles on either side of her tail head will noticably loosen up and be very soft to touch. Much more than she has been showing for the past month or so. About 24 hrs before foaling, she'll develop a waxy like substance on the end of her teats, and when she does that, you've usually got between 12-48 hrs before she pops! More like 24 hrs, but some mares fool ya. Point being, when they "wax up", birth usually occurs within hours rather than days or weeks. :D

well she had the foal last night (filly) was in labour a long time I called the vet at 4.30 A.M. he said he;d rarelly been called to a horse and ended up with a live colt ,so everybody is pretty happy now all my nieghbours will be dropping in to see it. I live in a pretty good place people still care about what their nieghbours are doing , in a kind way

Concrats for you baby! Nice to here everybody is fine.
May you can post a pic? (I LOVE horse pics....)

sorry im not very computer lit Ill have to get my kids to show me how to post pictures.--colt is very small mabey 40 lbs feet are kind of bent havent staightened out yet And as I recall thats how my daughter bought the father so cheap-he had leg problems when he was small ,but they staightened out later seems to be pretty sound now

cold here this morning mabey -25 C. my other horses are outside and look pretty contented.---you know the old timers tell me when they used to use horses for field work --and might have5 or 6 teams , they kept one team in the barn for chores all winter the rest where turn loose all winter they roamed the country side with everybody elses horse, then about a month before they were needed in the spring they rounded them up got them shoed ect. for field work

Latest posts