Pregnant Heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

ScottyB

Reaction score
I have two heifers that weigh about 550+ lbs each. I also have a young bull that is two yrs old. Are the heifers big enough to get pregnant and is the bull old enough. They are not seperated, could they be pregnant already. Also, how fast can a heifer be bred back after her first calf and is this the right thing to do.

It depends what breed they are. For smaller breeds that is OK but for bigger and later maturing ones it definitely isn't.

ScottyB":1ljjnabh said:
They are not seperated, could they be pregnant already. Also, how fast can a heifer be bred back after her first calf and is this the right thing to do.

Yes, they could very well already be with calf. Cows usually start cycling again 21-45 days post-calving. No, I would not breed them back that soon because it puts a high demand on the animal. Give her a few months between calving and breeding her back.

One of the heifers is an angus and the other is a commercial jersey cross heifer. I also just bought a 600lb charlois heifer that is 8 months bred. Thanks for any advice.

ScottyB":3m2u25rw said:
One of the heifers is an angus and the other is a commercial jersey cross heifer. I also just bought a 600lb charlois heifer that is 8 months bred. Thanks for any advice.

Either you can't tell the weight of cattle or someone has found a sucker.

600 lb heifer that is due to calve in a month :?: :?: :?:

Do you have any pictures of these heifers>

Jovid":1yo0zvdz said:
ScottyB":1yo0zvdz said:

Either you can't tell the weight of cattle or someone has found a sucker.

600 lb heifer that is due to calve in a month :?: :?: :?:

Do you have any pictures of these heifers>

See the thread on miniatures!

I bought this charlois heifer at a sale barn and it said she weighed 600 lbs a month ago at 7 months bred. I am new to this and appreciate everyones help. Should i run her back up to the sale barn or take my chances with her. If i am trying to start a herd, is it better to buy a seasoned cow rather than a heifer.

You can try and abort the calf with a shot of Lutelyse but it wont' work if the calf is more than 5 months along. It is not a sure guarantee even if less than 5 months. There are other things you can try also if you don't want her to carry the calf full term.

Latest posts