pregnant heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

lilfarmgirl

Reaction score
I know the girls will calve anytime from May until July. I just wanted a little more detail on what to look for as they progress. I guess I did not word my original post very well.

not staying with group, discharge and looseness on the back end, noticable bag, feet sticking out...?! :D

Each breed is different and each cow within a breed has its own rythym, which doesn't help much. For instance, one of my Angus cows will have a discharge for two weeks before she calves.

Heifers are a bit easier to read. If you can watch their bags daily, note sudden enlargements. When their bags swell, start watching for a discharge. When they have a swollen birth canal, really heavy discharge and start laying around alone, or head off towards the bushes, you are only a few hours off. Be prepared to help them when the time comes and alot of that could depend on what they were bred to. Usually, Maw Nature is better at this than we are and takes care of it, but on occasion they need help.

These are good tips and here's a few I watch for:

The teats themselves start to fill - usually within 24 hours prior to calving

Springing - the tailhead springs up. If you were to push down on it, it would spring back up. Occurs 12-36 hours prior to calving.

Noticible increase in appetite. When we feed cake, they suddenly seem to be a lot more aggressive about eating than normal.

I have seen heifers bags fill, then go down a little, then fill, then go down a little, then... get the picture? I had one this year who did that, then did the same with her teats about 3 times before she calved.

I have Brangus cows and heifers and I've noticed the heifers try to calve a couple hours after dark. This is not true for everyone, just what I've noticed with a few of mine. The older cows seem to calve just before or right after dawn.