Pregnant heifers with watery green stool

Help Support CattleToday:

AU_forester02

Reaction score
First post on here, but I have done a good bit of research prior to posting. Any help would be appreciated.

I have 3 black baldy heifers that are 7 months pregnant with their first calves that I bought at the sale Saturday March 5th. They have been vaccinated, etc.. and are healthy looking cows. Since getting them home (right at 7 days now), they have had watery green stool. Initially I wrote it off as the new environment for the cows on the fresh green pastures here in north Alabama and figured it would go away soon. We have had an early, warm spring so the pastures are greening up very quick. They were from a farm not far away here in N. Alabama. I have some Formax 24/7 mineral out free choice for them and have been starting them out with some 14% All Stock pelleted feed (14% protein, 25% fiber) at about 10 lbs. per head every other day. They also have a roll of hay out that they eat on occasionally, but they obviously prefer the young green grass.

They seem to act and look perfectly fine, but the watery stool has started to concern me after a week. My plan was to start mixing hay with the feed this week to see if I could get things more solid. Should I be more concerned? Or is this not a big deal. Looking at things like grass tetany and nitrate poisoning makes you wonder if something serious could be wrong.. but they seem to be grazing and acting normal.
How long would this typically go on in newly moved cattle on fresh spring pastures?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If most of their diet is fresh green grass it's probably just the spring squirts. Everything else being ok I would just practice benign neglect

dun":2viscth1 said:
If most of their diet is fresh green grass it's probably just the spring squirts. Everything else being ok I would just practice benign neglect

x2. key in on "everything else being ok...."

re: grass tetany - you should have a high magnesium block out -