Pregnant heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
My heifer is getting ready to cave' I think but she looks a little hollow in her back and Ribs. I make sure she gets her hay every day & put out minerals too. How do I make her fill out or is this normal?

Try Photobucket. Without seeing her, she may have dropped & the calf is getting into position. My fatties get 20% cubes (some call them nuggets) but alfalfa & brome are also high in protein. That said, you don't want a heifer (or cow) to be too fat when they calve.

IMG_20151018_163221820_zps8wulmfdp.jpg
[/url]img]

I think I have pics on the links posted here.. I not even sure how I did it (if I did)

Agree with Mdash. She is fine boned, and dairy. She should not look "thick" like a beef cow. She looks perfectly normal for her breed.

Tomcolvin":3esboaf8 said:
Praise GOD sne delivered. What do I do now?

Unless there's a definite problem I believe in practicing benign neglect (other than vaccinations, castration, etc.). Millions of calves are born, get up and nurse, and do fine every year without human intervention.

Tomcolvin":kiy9164f said:
Praise GOD sne delivered. What do I do now?

Grab a lawn chair, lots of your favorite beverage, a good book and enjoy the show.

On the rare (!) days where I have little to do and young calves on the ground, those are some really awesome days to go out and sit in the pasture and just watch your herd do "cattle stuff".

If she calved in mud, manure or dirt, wouldn;t hurt to soak the umbilical, otherwise just keep an eye on the calf to insure it eats.

should mention that when dun says "soak the umbilical" I believe he means with iodine or some other antibacterial product designed for umbilical cords... Taking a hose to the calf's belly isn't exactly helpful ;)

shortybreeder":c2razhr2 said:
should mention that when dun says "soak the umbilical" I believe he means with iodine or some other antibacterial product designed for umbilical cords... Taking a hose to the calf's belly isn't exactly helpful ;)
Right! Being old I forget the essentials some times.

Latest posts