Pregnant Heifer with high fever

Help Support CattleToday:

fourstates

Reaction score
I have a heifer who had been moping around for the last few days. I figured she was getting ready to calf (she's due this month).

But I noticed her with her head held down without any other signs of calfing, but rather rapid breathing. Then I heard her cough.... No other nasal drainage. Locked her in the pen, took her temp and found a temp of 105.5!!

Dosed with micotil and banamine. She eating and drinking. What are the chances she and the calf will be OK.?? The vet says this has been a bad year for respiratory disease.

Depends. If she is with in three weeks, i would get to the vet and buy a bag of dried colostrum. Reason is the temp could fry any antibodies in the colostrum already made. I would also check the bag just in case of mastistis. Might not have to milk out, just check for unusual hardness and heat.

Depending on how far along she is, if you get her healthy before she calves good chances for a healthy calf. But if she calves soon, i would give it a shot of antibotics and a non steriod anti inflam just in case.
A calf is born with zero immunity and is very suceptible to sickness.
Again get a bag of dried colostrum, I think 100 imuglobulins to have on hand and give it whether the momma's bag is good or not...rather not take the chance and realize to late the calf did not get any.

Latest posts