Pregnant Heifer with bloody diarrhea

Help Support CattleToday:

Valerie

Reaction score
I am losing it . I have tried to post two times.
Help it is 3 am and my heifer has blood and mucus in her stool, almost diarrhea. She is due any time, eating well. This can't be normal can it.
She is big and my hubby says I am over reacting. It is 3am in the morning for pete sakes and I am at my wits end.
Thinking vet. Please give me suggestions. I don't want to lose her through ignorance. have been searching the web and found this wonderful place.
Any help or suggestions appreciated.
My gut says vet ASAP. Please tell me what you think, or what I can do.

First off, by the time I'm reading this, it is morning...

Secondly, some animals will have slight amounts of blood in their stool right before calving if it's a big calf and really pushing on the descending colon. These animals seem to have soft stool, almost diarrhea because it's only a bit of what's in that can get get in the way. So....calm down, and call the vet at 8am or so unless things have gotten worse in the interim. You may be about to have a monster of a calf...

V

Valerie,

Didn't know mom's get sympathetic reactons to expectancy(thought it only analogous to dad's!!!!) :eek: :lol:

Doc has spoken..take a 1/2 valium and get some rest :lol: ....seen it many times...shouldn't be a problem...let us know the mom and calf size..when it is over.

Thanks for that little reality check. Shows what little sleep does for a gal.
Vet says she is okay, no coxciddiosis, etc. just one big baby. I will let you know when bouncing baby arrives. Hope its not tonight otherwise might be blown towards Gibbon before I can get ahold of it. Thanks again :D

Valerie":3hv8wf62 said:
Thanks for that little reality check. Shows what little sleep does for a gal.
Vet says she is okay, no coxciddiosis, etc. just one big baby. I will let you know when bouncing baby arrives. Hope its not tonight otherwise might be blown towards Gibbon before I can get ahold of it. Thanks again :D

I know that feeling! You guys got anything that wasn't nailed down today from your neighbors to the west!

To everyone who gave advice on heifer. She had her beautiful black angus calf (bull) less than an hour ago. Nice calf, no problems. She is Rose Gelbeigh and allowed me to take lots of pictures and even scratch her and touch her calf. He is nursing nicely. I am doing well, just needed a couple of aleve. :D msscamp sorry I wasn't able to catch anything coming from your way in the nasty wind storm. My eyes were full of dirt and I couldn't see a thing!! Nice day today not too hot, evidently Cherry, my heifer, knows what she is doing. GO FIGURE!! :roll:

valerie,
Now that we slep during all your agony :p .....can we at least see a pic
of this little guy? :roll: ;-) Congrats..it's fun isn't it..even with the stress!

Latest posts