Pregnant Heifer Umbilical Hernia?

Help Support CattleToday:

garnetann

Reaction score
I have a angus heifer about 2 1/2 years old, first time calver. She is due just any day now. Just within the last couple of days, she has what looks like an umbilical hernia, I felt it, it is like a water balloon on her tummy right in front of her udder. Not real big, about the size of my hand, and just feels like a water balloon, but noticeable. Is this something that we should maybe be thinking twice about whether to breed her again? I never noticed anything on her at all when she was younger, and she is otherwise very healthy.

I would think that it is more likely just oedema. Pressure of calf, pressure of enlarged udder all hinders return of blood and fluid through veins and lymphatics. Once she calves all will return to normal very quickly.
Ken

wbvs58":3cmrfq0p said:
I would think that it is more likely just oedema. Pressure of calf, pressure of enlarged udder all hinders return of blood and fluid through veins and lymphatics. Once she calves all will return to normal very quickly.
Ken
:nod:

I agree. Unless you can poke around and find a hole it isn;t a hernia.

i have seen several brahmanx cows have a swelling in front of the udder where they have extra skin. it looks funny but usually goes down when the swelling of the udder goes down.

I was hoping someone would answer the OP's actual question, because I have a Guernsey heifer do the same thing 2 days ago - and because she is going to be milked she is gentle enough to let me feel it - it is definatly a hole with 'lump' through it where her belly button should be. Does this heal on its own once she calves or does it have to be surgically repaired?

A hernia needs to be surgically repaired, never heard of one healing itself. The only problem with that is it is likely to occur again with another pregnancy.

Latest posts