pregnant cow uterine prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

garnetann

Reaction score
I have a 7 YO cow, never have had any calving problems. She has a uterine prolapse showing when she is laying down. not all the time, but I have seen it twice in the last several days. About the size of my palm. it does not show when she is standing up. She probably has another week or two to go. should I have the vet come out now, is there anything he can do? Will she for sure push it out when she calves? Any advice appreciated.

what is it then? It is not like a pink grapefruit, round and firm. It looks like pink globby tissue, like the waddle on a turkey, but not dark red, more pink.

It is more than likely a vaginal prolapse. Had one about a month ago. We put some hog nose rings in and sewed it up. Watched her close and when she started to calve we un sewed her, let her calve, then sewed her back up for 4 days. Un sewed her again and turned her out. She didn't prolapse when calving but it was very noticeable when she was lying down before calving. About the size of a football.

I have a 4 yro that has done that with all 3 of her calves about a week before she calves

It is vaginal tissue. Vaginal prolapse.

A uterine prolapse will occur after the birth of the calf. If the cow hasn't calved, then that means the calf is still in the uterus.

I have a run of red angus that do it a lot. Esp when heavy bred, and full from eating. I just stand em up and make em walk if I see it. But I'm slowly selling them off. Hasn't caused much problem, just don't like to see it when really cold, or really muddy.

Leave it alone if its not very big and goes back in when she stands up .

We had a LOT of it in the cows we started with, and it took 25 years to get rid of it.. it IS hereditary. Exercise DOES help.. if you have the means to make them walk a half a mile to water, that's good.

As long as it's not getting irritated by the tail and goes back in when she stands, it's not a big concern.

She calved this morning, perfect little bull calf, nothing came out that was not supposed to. Mother and son doing just fine. thanks!

Latest posts