Pregnant cow or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

Melsa

Reaction score
Hi, I'm VERY new to this whole cow business and have a silly question. We recently bought a cow from a nearby farmer and he told us she was pregnant and due in 2 months, that was 3 1/2 months ago now. How do u tell if a cow is pregnant and will she let a bull cover her if she is already pregnant?

Some cows will stand to be serviced even if bred, not many, but some. Either palpation or ultrasound is the only way short of the cow actaully calving is the only way to be sure. Your local large animal vet can palpate her and tell for sure. Of course that "for sure" part also has the caveat that some vets are better then others at pregnancy detection.

dun

Thanks Dun, this guy who sold us the cow said that u could also tell by her udders, they should drop or something. Will have to find a good vet then.

The udder filling, there is only one udder consisting of 4 quarters, generally starts filling shortly before calving. The operative word is "generally". Some cows start a couple of month before calving and will very slowly fill, others won;t fill until just before calving, still others won't put significant milk in it until they actaully calve.
Each cow/heifer is an individual and will have varying tendencys/traits.
If you do a search on these boards of "palpation" I'm fairly sure you'll get a lot of your pregnancy detection questions answered.

dun

A cow can be palpated (by a vet or qualified producer) to tell if she is pregnant. If she is getting close to calving, she will show outward signs. Her udder will start filling with milk, her vulva will loosen (swell). Normally, a pregnant cow will not "stand" for a bull or any other herdmate. If you observe any cattle mounting her, & she stands for them to ride her, she most likely is NOT pregnant.

Melsa":vbh0ch81 said:
Hi, I'm VERY new to this whole cow business and have a silly question. We recently bought a cow from a nearby farmer and he told us she was pregnant and due in 2 months, that was 3 1/2 months ago now. How do u tell if a cow is pregnant and will she let a bull cover her if she is already pregnant?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3ua8id7v said:
Normally, a pregnant cow will not "stand" for a bull or any other herdmate. If you observe any cattle mounting her, & she stands for them to ride her, she most likely is NOT pregnant.

Melsa":3ua8id7v said:

Each cow is different. I have 8 to 10 that in their 8 and 9 month of pregnancy the bull will be after them. I bought some cattle at the beginning of the year that were bred, after I got them home, one of them would stand for the bull every time the bull mounted her,(not a former show heifer) however, she had a healthy calf back in September. Alot of former show heifer's will stand for bulls even when bred.

Have some that start bagging from two months before they calve to some that don't get their milk until after the calve. Alot of heifer's will show heavy a month or two before they calve. Cattle that are on feed will bag a month or so before they calve. It all depends on the cow.

Its not uncommon for vets and other to miss the preg. by months though also. Take her to a vet.

Scotty

If you have the cow in with some hiefers or other cows than you should buy a box of heat dedectores (i would get K-Mars). If the Dedector gets poped than you should breed her.

ERIK":bby2pjm9 said:
If you have the cow in with some hiefers or other cows than you should buy a box of heat dedectores (i would get K-Mars). If the Dedector gets poped than you should breed her.

Never heard of these. Could you tell me a little about them. How do they work, what do they look like? Thanks.

george

Latest posts