Pregnant cow down...

Help Support CattleToday:

tamara1986

Reaction score
She's a small jersey,about 2 years old or less..first time pregnant,and is getting close or right at delivery...she went down about 3 days ago and is still not able to get up, She drinks and eats and i can feel the baby move but thats about as far as it goes..can anyone tell me what might be going on? Oh,on the side note...she was possibly bred around june or july of last year..she is also pasture and hay fed..here recently been giving her feed since shes unable to get up...

tamara1986":3k5fkqhq said:
She's a small jersey,about 2 years old or less..first time pregnant,and is getting close or right at delivery...she went down about 3 days ago and is still not able to get up, She drinks and eats and i can feel the baby move but thats about as far as it goes..can anyone tell me what might be going on? Oh,on the side note...she was possibly bred around june or july of last year..she is also pasture and hay fed..here recently been giving her feed since shes unable to get up...

Time for you to get a large animal vet out .

I posted this the other night and when we went out to check on her the next morning,it was too late,we lost her and the baby,we did pull the calf out just to see what the sex was and she was a heifer plus she was breached...thanks for the input though!

I know it isn't cheap to get an autopsy or vet visit, but it might be good to have an idea of what caused your problem so as to possibly avoid it in the future.
One problem that I have encountered with autopsys is that it has often came back where they didn't know what caused the death, so you were no better off, and out of cash to boot. But if do you get a diagnosis, it can help you in the future prevent problems..

tamara1986":hxah7nd4 said:
I posted this the other night and when we went out to check on her the next morning,it was too late,we lost her and the baby,we did pull the calf out just to see what the sex was and she was a heifer plus she was breached...thanks for the input though!

Breach or backwards?

Big difference.

Bez

I'm sorry. That was an expensive loss. Now you know not to "wait and see what happens".
Calling your veterinarian when she went down may have saved her. Poor cow.

I think it would be a waste to call the vet now. If they were able to pull the calf after death, and I am assuming pull through the vaginal canal and not cutting it out, then that cow died due to taking too long to calve.

Attn Newbies: If you have a cow go down and you have no idea why, the first thing to do is call the vet. You can always come here later, or while waiting.

Edited to add: The instructions above are already followed by 99% of the cattlemen on this board but due to the fact they've seen a lot more cows, they have fewer cases of cows going down with no idea of the reason.

Chris H":2mpuz7vk said:
I think it would be a waste to call the vet now. If they were able to pull the calf after death, and I am assuming pull through the vaginal canal and not cutting it out, then that cow died due to taking too long to calve.

Attn Newbies: If you have a cow go down and you have no idea why, the first thing to do is call the vet. You can always come here later, or while waiting.

Edited to add: The instructions above are already followed by 99% of the cattlemen on this board but due to the fact they've seen a lot more cows, they have fewer cases of cows going down with no idea of the reason.

If you have a vet. Everything around here is for small animals.

Two tubes of CMPK will get 9 out of 10 of them on their feet within an hour or two. If that does not work, then try a vet, if you got one. Call it milk fever or whatever, CMPK works. It only costs about $9 for two tubes and it does not hurt anything. I mail order two dozen tubes at a time.

Here's a link. 90 percent chance it would have saved that animal. http://www.jefferspet.com/cmpk-gel/camid/liv/cp/A2-CB/

Large animal vet that lives 100 miles off calls me to go administer it to folks in this area when they ahve a downer.

Latest posts