pregnancy

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have purchased a cow/calf pair from a private party. The previous owner said the cow was exposed to bulls for 2 months in Mar/Apr 03. I have called a couple of large animal vet (left voicemail and they have not called back). Is there any way a novice like me can find out if the cow is pregnant? Is it a bad time (August) to expose her to a bull if she isn't preg? Thanks in advance for any assistance

[email protected]

Yes, you can do it yourself if you have proper tools and facilities such as a chute or alley you need a long shoulder glove or two and some disinfectant soap. Talk to Vicki The Vet for procederes and precautions... In my opinion no time of the year is a bad time to breed a cow because a bred cow is worth more to me than open cow that will need sold when you wean the calf. The only off setting factor is if you aren't comfortable find a vet to do it most of the time you can just pull into the vets office during the week and they can fit you in. Good Luck Jake

[email protected]

You may have only a 90 day pregnancy, which would be hard for a novice to detect. It would not hurt to breed now if they are open. You could put a bull with them and he will leave them alone if they are bred. On the other hand, if they have been with a bull and are not bred, there may be a reason. If you have a vet check them and they are open, you can have him check to see if they seem to be in normal breeding shape, or if he can detect any potential problems. You don't want to waste your time and pasture feeding a cow that won't have a calf.

Thank you to those of you who responded to my inquiry. My cow turns out to be open. My vet gave several options and recommendations. I am comtemplating buying a sale barn bull, leave him with the cow for 90 days and then reselling him. Calf is still suckling. Will the cow come into heat if calf not weaned? Calf about 4 months old. What do you think of my plan?

[email protected]

If there is nothing wrong wth the cow nutritionally or reproductively she will cycle. Doesn't matter if a bull is with her or not, she will still cycle. If she will settle or not there isn;t anyway to tell for sure. Salebarn bulls are rarely a bargain. Better to borrow a known bull from a friend or neighbor.

dun

> Thank you to those of you who
> responded to my inquiry. My cow
> turns out to be open. My vet gave
> several options and
> recommendations. I am
> comtemplating buying a sale barn
> bull, leave him with the cow for
> 90 days and then reselling him.
> Calf is still suckling. Will the
> cow come into heat if calf not
> weaned? Calf about 4 months old.
> What do you think of my plan?

personally, unless i thought and AWFUL lot of this cow.. i would sell the pair a little later on, before i had to winter them... and buy a bred cow...

at this time of year you are taking a chance of wintering an open cow... usually not profitable for me..

just my 2 cents

gene

> Thank you to those of you who
> responded to my inquiry. My cow
> turns out to be open. My vet gave
> several options and
> recommendations. I am
> comtemplating buying a sale barn
> bull, leave him with the cow for
> 90 days and then reselling him.
> Calf is still suckling. Will the
> cow come into heat if calf not